It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:40 am

St. Davids Shopping Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 4:58 pm

Could this be part of the problem?
The 'Valleys' are not doing so badly anymore.

Ben In London

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 11:37 am

As far as empty units go you seem the same in almost every city/town centre around the country.
The part of London I live in has a shopping centre that is the biggest and most important for miles around but there are still plenty of empty units among the Apple stores, Timberlands and Jo Malones it houses.

Cen

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 2:04 pm

Ben In London wrote:As far as empty units go you seem the same in almost every city/town centre around the country.
The part of London I live in has a shopping centre that is the biggest and most important for miles around but there are still plenty of empty units among the Apple stores, Timberlands and Jo Malones it houses.

I tend to agree with this. I don't find Cardiff particularly bad compared to other cities. In fact it's got quite a few stores that most UK cities don't have. A lot of store closures have also been part of UK-wide brand cutbacks, where the Cardiff branch was not the only victim.

Cen

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 2:19 pm

My opinion is that the fall in retail shopping is UK-wide and can be almost completely attributed to the rise of internet shopping. There's no evidence that the footfall has dropped significantly in Cardiff, where people are spending a lot of money in restaurants, bars, cinemas, etc. Shops aren't particularly empty either, but I know that a lot people will go to shops and even try on clothes and trial gadgets, to then say "I'll just buy this cheaper online".

I think we need to careful where this internet and A.I. path takes us, as soon we won't have any jobs left to spend money anyway!

Amoore

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 3:18 pm

The competition of the Internet is sometimes overrated.

In terms of more linear competition, I think the diversification of supermarkets has a huge impact too, in addition to the increase of out of town shopping centres.

RandomComment

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 4:13 pm

I'm sorry but I just do think Cardiff has a narrower range of stores, and especially fashion stores, than other cities we might consider to be on a par in terms of potential scale of market: Leeds, Liverpool, Belfast, Bristol (adjusting for the out-of-town competition, and nearby-town competition). What Cardiff has are big and successful Debenhams, M&S, Primark, H&M, River Island, Top Shop, TK Maxx, etc. I think they hoover up a bigger share of the trade than comparable cities meaning less to go around to other retailers - whether high or mid market. I think this reflects the typical Welsh shopper being somewhat conservative about where they shop. The way around this is if you appeal to teens/young adults with a "must have" mass-market brand - so Hollister, Superdry, Jack Wills, probably Victoria's Secret, all being at least temporarily very popular.

I think this has been a long-standing phenomenon though. I think the growth of places like Cyfarthfa has probably worsened that trend by keeping even more spend in such mass market stores and out of Cardiff centre altogether.

Cen

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Coincidentally, there was a report on BBC news today that backs up my views. Apparently online sales counted for 40% of John Lewis's sales this Christmas. These are figures for a retailer that is primarily "offline". We can't ignore this shift to online shopping, and it's having an impact across the UK. I do however agree that we could do with a few more upmarket shops, but then if Cardiffians don't shop upmarket, is it really a big shame if they don't set up here anyway?

Amoore

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Which upmarket brands would you say are missing from Cardiff?

Jantra

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Amoore wrote:Which upmarket brands would you say are missing from Cardiff?

Aquascutum, Thomas Pink, crombie, Oliver sweeney

Amoore

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 2:19 am

To be fair, there aren't many of those stores outside London so it's not as if there's one in every major shopping centre and Cardiff's been left out. (Thomas Pink has a concession in John Lewis by the way)
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum