It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Karl

Re: General Developments

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 9:41 am

No - this is the same one as referred to a few weeks ago. This is the development at the northern end of City Road - next to the Gaiety.

It appears that this is an evolution of the previous design. The new design is red brick (presumably to fit in with the surrounding buildings), some render and aluminium cladding at roof level. It's better than the last iteration which looked like Ty Pont Haearn's little brother but is still - in my opinion - a gross overdevelopment for that part of the street.

I've no objection to going higher than the surrounding buildings but 9 storeys is over the top. The DAS suggests that the tower will act like a 'church spire' punctuating the street scene which is grade one bolloxology even for architects. Something along the lines of the building that replaced the old Canton police station on Cowbridge Road East would work perfectly here.

Also the DAS seems to be fairly confident that the Gaiety will be demolished soon. Not sure why they say this as it's a listed building.

Jantra

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 12:47 pm

Karl wrote:No - this is the same one as referred to a few weeks ago. This is the development at the northern end of City Road - next to the Gaiety.

It appears that this is an evolution of the previous design. The new design is red brick (presumably to fit in with the surrounding buildings), some render and aluminium cladding at roof level. It's better than the last iteration which looked like Ty Pont Haearn's little brother but is still - in my opinion - a gross overdevelopment for that part of the street.

I've no objection to going higher than the surrounding buildings but 9 storeys is over the top. The DAS suggests that the tower will act like a 'church spire' punctuating the street scene which is grade one bolloxology even for architects. Something along the lines of the building that replaced the old Canton police station on Cowbridge Road East would work perfectly here.

Also the DAS seems to be fairly confident that the Gaiety will be demolished soon. Not sure why they say this as it's a listed building.

agreed

Philnpt

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Karl wrote:No - this is the same one as referred to a few weeks ago. This is the development at the northern end of City Road - next to the Gaiety.

You've got the poets corner student accommodation planned for city rd as well as this one, I think it's going to be 11 stories

Karl

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 4:39 pm

I know. If anything that is even more offensive. The original plan - which was restricted to the Plumb Centre, looked good. It was a bit higher than the surrounding buildings but as I recall was not overbearing, looked interesting and used decent materials.

Once PC's shut down I think the developer got $ signs in his/her eyeballs and decided to cash in by doubling the accommodation. In doing so they have come up with a design that is over-ambitious and wants to be all things to all men. City Rd doesn't need statement buildings intermittently standing amongst Victorian terraces. It needs decent contemporary buildings that compliment the existing streetscape on vacant plots, a complete public realm overhaul and the period buildings to get a little tlc possibly through a city council led grant scheme.

Karl

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 10:32 am

It looks like Ty Pont Haearn or whetever it calls itself these days is getting some work done on it -

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/wa ... iff-scheme

£6m being spent. I hope some of that is earmarked for an external facelift - perhaps new windows, a paint job, etc

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 11:56 am

That article! talk about confusing - but I guess that's £6million on polishing the proverbial :lol:
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 8:55 pm

It could work out at around £40,000 per flat, with a spare £1 million for the communal areas such as hallways and stairs. However, I can't see them spending £40,000 per flat, so there must be some money for a reclad or repaint. I suppose it must have around 1000 windows, replacing them could cost around £400,000.

Still, it should be an improvement.

Peiriannydd

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 11:24 pm

Given the new competition, who would want to stay in that dump? Maybe that's the question its owners/managers are asking?

I imagine £6 would go a long way. Hopefully they'll spend some of that money on a like of paint. The grime and slime running down the exterior walls really detracts from already poor architecture!

Jantra

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 9:45 am

Peiriannydd wrote:Given the new competition, who would want to stay in that dump? Maybe that's the question its owners/managers are asking?

I imagine £6 would go a long way. Hopefully they'll spend some of that money on a like of paint. The grime and slime running down the exterior walls really detracts from already poor architecture!

I imagine on ty pont haearn you are probably correct

Zach

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 5:48 pm

£5.99 and FREE Delivery!!

I think a can of touch up paint comes in nicely under budget!

I would go for the NutMeg myself as it wont look so out of place compared to the bird sh*t and rust.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum