It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am

St. Davids Shopping Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Karl

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 11:58 am

Simon_SW17 wrote:Noticed today that the Love Coffee unit next to M&S is closed, they used to use the centre bit of the mall as well for a large seating area.

Obviously people didn't Love their coffee enough.

I think that is going to be a Caffe Nero.

RandomComment

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Ben In London wrote:
I do actually like Thomas Pink (the 'shirt bar' in the flagship is great) but I still see it as more of a department store concession than anything else.

I was at the big Lions send-off banquet the night before they flew out in 2013. At every place setting there was a commemorative mini ball from Rhino, a magazine, some other odds and sods and a £100 gift card for Thomas Pink. On my table of eight was an Irish player and sat next to me was a very high-profile Wales player. He was so excited about the gift card. I thought, you're playing for the Lions and I'm sure Thomas Pink would give you what you want as a team partner, what's the big deal?!

My experience is thats its a pretty general rule that even very rich people get excited by, what to them, are pretty small freebies. I think its because everyone loves to get "something for nothing", and it makes them somehow feel special and valued (and everyone likes status).

A (formerly) famous colleague of mine has a card that gets him and four guests free Nandos whenever he wants.. now thats exciting! (Although I bet I'd soon get sick of the chicken).

Back to St Davids.. anyone got any idea what the "exciting brands" that St Davids talked about when Mothercare closure was announced? Is it just them trying to spin a bad story and there isn't really anything happening..

Amoore

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 6:14 pm

RandomComment wrote:Back to St Davids.. anyone got any idea what the "exciting brands" that St Davids talked about when Mothercare closure was announced? Is it just them trying to spin a bad story and there isn't really anything happening..

Gosh that was only 8 days ago, give them time!

jonnywill25

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 11:24 pm

Karl wrote:
Simon_SW17 wrote:Noticed today that the Love Coffee unit next to M&S is closed, they used to use the centre bit of the mall as well for a large seating area.

Obviously people didn't Love their coffee enough.

I think that is going to be a Caffe Nero.

This is correct! Welcome news especially as Nero is a secure tenant who doesn't have a ropey rent agreement :lol:

jonnywill25

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 1:52 pm

Women's lingerie retailer 'Bravissimo' are relocating from Queens Arcade Shopping Centre to St. David's later this year. Location and opening date are yet to be revealed... Hardly a coup, but it's something!

jonnywill25

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 10:55 am

Opening Soon

1) Thaikhun (UG13/14) Previously occupied by Armani Exchange

2) Byron Burger (MSU06B + LG28/29)

3) Caffe Nero (25 Cathedral Walk) Previously occupied by Love Coffee

4) Bravissimo (UG29) Previously occupied by Hush Puppies and includes use of mezzanine

Available: SD2

- Former Mango (LG40) 2,471 Sq Ft
- Former Tinc (LG38) 714 Sq Ft
- Former Fenchurch (LG35) 3,000 Sq Ft
- Former Jane Norman (LG32) 2,135 St Ft
- Former Paloma (LG31) 2,000 Sq Ft
- Former Folli Follie (KLG04)
- Former Clas Ohlson (MSU02) 17,700 Sq Ft

- Former Mothercare (UG01/02) 12,228 Sq Ft
- Former Gilly Hicks (MSU05)
- Former Republic (UG46/47) 12,253 Sq Ft
- Former Guess (UG37)
- Former JoJo Maman Bebe (UG32)

- Upper Grand Arcade (UG28) 1,584 Sq Ft
- Upper Eastside (KUG11)

- Current Crew Clothing (LG68) 2,113 Sq Ft

RandomComment

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Only one there that would be of any interest to me is Thaikhun. Byron are nothing special in my view (theres one directly opposite my office, which I've been to once in perhaps five years, after trying it on a special offer), and another chain coffee shop.

Would be nice to see something happening on the general fashion retail front. Seems to have gone quiet there. I saw recently that clothing sales in the UK fell something like 2% in cash terms in the last year as people switch to spending their money on other things - notably "eating out" but also holidays, beauty products and cars. So the combo of a national trend against clothing, and South Wales relative lack of interest in fashion, perhaps explains the rather stale fashion offering.

Amoore

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Head is closing its St Davids store:

It's with regret that we're announcing the closure of our store in Cardiff. We've developed a loving and loyal following since opening in Oct '15 and made some true friends. We'd like to thank you all for your support from the bottom of our hearts.

Head as a business is on the up an up, and we are looking to open a number of new stores across The UK and Ireland this year. There's lots of exciting news in the pipeline but in Cardiff it simply hasn't worked out. This is no reflection on the store, the staff, the city, or you lovely people. We have found the Welsh to be the warmest and friendliest of folk.

The store is due to close on Saturday 6th May so YES we will be doing Record Store Day, and NO it will not be a half-baked offer. We will be making this the biggest and best RSD yet. If you loved what we did last year then we will not disappoint you. Remember, the business itself is growing and we still have the same backing and support from all of the suppliers. The fact we are due to close the store has no reflection on our ability to deliver an incredible RSD. We'll say it again, there will be no sacrifice in quality.

If you love the store then make the most of us over these next 2 months. We love to see our regulars. We'll continue to stock all the usual new release titles as usual so please continue to make us your first port of call. Feel free to comment and spread the love below, but please no drivel about Spotify, Netflix, downloads and the death of the Record Store. Firstly, we'll only delete it, and secondly it's completely inaccurate. There's legs to this business and we are at the helm.

Much love

Team Head xx

Simon_SW17

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 6:58 pm

I'd imagine they were on a pop up rent, there's no way they could have stayed so long if they'd have been paying hundreds of thousands a year. I'm sure they made hay while HMV was closed for a few months but Head is a retailer who would suit one of the arcades.

jonnywill25

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 4:13 pm

HEAD were always on a temporary contract. They weren't even including on any letting plans! Not a surprise, nevertheless a shame... I'll miss their record collection! Best in the city...

According to a trusted source, New Look MEN are in negotiations for a unit at the centre. The men's department in New Look St. Davids turns over £500,000 a year so there's a market for a standalone store, however they're trying to work out wether it would be lucrative considering they have adequate space to continue housing men's in their current full offering store.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum