It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

Callaghan Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: Callaghan Square

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 11:04 am

I'm no expert but I think so. I think this is what happened at Capital Quarter where Viridis Real Estate purchased the student housing plots in phase 1 (which they should be starting soon). I think those plots already had planning permission that J R Smart obtained.

Sion Barry talks about the Callaghan Square land today in the Western Mail actually

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/commercial-property/what-now-key-development-site-9899096

I can see an arena and/or convention centre going there but what I can't see is the council actually getting either developed. I'd love to be proved wrong.

As for a property company looking to come in and develop offices there there's a part of me wondering whether that's necessary at the moment. The few bits of letting news that have come out recently in the general press has seen organisations take up space in existing buildings instead of at these new offies. Plus there's so many other offices going up or planned in the city and very few occupiers signed up to those offices (at least not yet or not publicly yet) that you have to wonder.

What I hope doesn't happen is the WG sell the land off to an investment company that just sit on the land for ages, that would just take us back to MEPC owning the land. I wouldn't care so much but it's in such an important location.

Cen

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 3:06 pm

An arena/conference centre would be ideal as it would pull more development further south. Hotels, bars, etc.

Eventually I'd like to see the gap between the centre and the bay fully filled. The Dumballs Road developments should also help the cause when they get started.

Peiriannydd

PostMon Nov 23, 2015 11:08 pm

Has anyone seen this masterplan proposal for Callaghan Square?

https://alexmorrisarchitect.wordpress.c ... e-cardiff/
Further update here:
https://alexmorrisarchitect.wordpress.c ... e-cardiff/

The chap who writes this blog claims to work for Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios and previously Foster and Partners in London. Not sure if these practices are seriously involved, but it's interesting to see that the plan calls for a sizeable tower.

I heard the WG were selling this plot on, but the recent work suggest there is still some interest in this part of the city.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (67.56 KiB) Viewed 19577 times

Jantra

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 6:51 am

As nice as it looks I think it's just proof of concept. The road layout looks all wrong from what we have been told previously.

As i said, it would be nice if it happened though

Cen

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 12:30 pm

It would definitely turn Callaghan Square into a more genuine square. Currently it's essentially a marker for the edge of the city centre. It's a shame that the previous designs never took off. They looked good.

Kyle

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 4:09 pm

I wonder if J R Smart or Rightacres will end up picking up the land, I suppose it depends on if one of them lands HMRC at one of their current projects.

Originally I thought this site would work well for any arena or conference centre we might get but if the pipeline of potential office requirements is true then this space is surely going to be needed sooner or later for offices.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/commercial-property/prime-development-site-centre-cardiff-11227679

Philnpt

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 7:04 pm

New campus planned, no site has been chosen yet but it's believed that Callaghan square is in pole position.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... w-12717103

Cen

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 9:22 am

This could actually breathe some life into Callaghan Square. Should also support the nearby student accommodation developments. Maybe they all knew about this!

Cardiff

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Seems like a good idea, will bring some day time life to the area and hopefully support some food and drink outlets. Will also connect up quite nicely with the college on Dumballs road.

Peiriannydd

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 12:11 am

Yes, it does seem to be a good idea and in keeping with a lot of university/student focused developments in Cardiff of late.

This space really does need to be filled in. A vacant plot in such a prominant city-centre development really is bad for Cardiff. You'd think the Council/Welsh Government would have been keen to see this development finished before Capital Quarter and Central Square started.

I would rule the conference centre going at either the Arms Park redevelopment or the Brains site.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum