It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
Jantra

Re: New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 4:03 pm

moyceyyy wrote:
Jantra wrote: I'd certainly agree Cardiff doesn't really have a decent music scene. It never really has. Saying goes that Bristol is only marginally better but does have a few great acts like Portishead and massive attack. I also wouldn't say DnB originated in Bristol, nor is the lakota world famous. It was a half decent house club back in the day but then Cardiff had the hip'po which some in Cardiff thought was great but was decidedly average.

The best description has already been given. Cardiff is top down and Bristol is bottom up. I'd certainly say both cities have lots to offer and in reality they aren't too far apart.

I'll rephrase that, Lakota is a leading club for bottom up scenes, while Motion is Top-down. (17th? best club in the world I think - fabric is 15th.) Lakota is now a driving force in DnB/Bassline - people like My Nu Leng and Eats Everything have become HUGE and they both claim it being thanks to Lakota selling out events every week.

And yes DnB originated in both London and Bristol, the scene grew in Bristol when it broke off from the Jungle scene.

This is super OT. Cuppa tea anyone? :lol:

Who compiles these best club lists? I remember everyone lauding the hacienda in m/cr as being one of the best clubs in the world. It wasn't even one of the best clubs in m/cr.

It is all subjective and I am pretty sure if I looked hard enough I'd find the hip'po in a top ten somewhere.

Regardless, I liked lakota. I've just been to better that's all.

Jantra

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Briz-Tim wrote:One being top down and the other grassroots is a bit misleading. As much of Bristol's cultural life and facilities are dominated and funded by the tax payer as Cardiff, and there's a passionate grassroots scene in the latter. I suppose one seems more grassroots because there's more meat on Bristol's bones when it comes to the actual cultural scenes. Yeah Cardiff is still limited in that regard, although things like the tramshed have improved things a great deal. I wish it had bren open when I was living down the street all those years ago.

Bristol does know it's brand and how to sell it well. I'm not a street art connoisseur by any means but it's something the city has capitalised on, bringing in lots of cash and foreign visitors. I think Cardiff could probably learn a thing or two here as far as marketing itself as a tourist destination (not the street art thing).

You can thank Cardiff City Council and their cultural Marxism for that.

Cardiff had some great little venues - granted not much home grown talent - but the council reacted in cases like the point, engine rooms, the vault and other such venues.

Jennifer

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 6:55 pm

AlwaysBeBlue wrote:Bristol is bigger but would not say better.

The Cardiff issue is that the population is small and you can only grow with your surrounding population.

Cardiff has amazing and unique arcades, roofed stadium, better football clubs and better park space. Also a compact city centre that people seem to like.

Cardiff needs to grow and the people need to grow with it. It is a Capital City after all. We are not a small town but a growing City that will get taller and bigger. If you don't like this, then maybe a small village is for you.

Which city is better or not is purely a subjective issue and should not be confused with the true facts. I myself subjectively speaking prefer Bristol

It’s brimming with culture and many original themes. For example the Wallace and Grommit/ Shaun the sheep trails in the city that were a huge success a few years back. Cardiff is now going to mimic this with "The snowman & Snowdog"
So much going on in the summer,

The balloon fiesta
Harbour festival
Ashton court festival
St Paul Street carnival festival (currently on hold)
Numerous other smaller music festivals.

Cardiff has the advantage of having a much larger venue i.e. the Principality stadium so is able to attract much higher profiled performances and larger crowds. But other than this and the pool/ ice arena in the bay, Bristol surpasses Cardiff in every other way.

Just walking through Bristol you get the feel your in major city unlike Cardiff which seems compact and town like although its growing rapidly.

You may be right in claiming Cardiff has the edge in terms of football, but then some this side of the estuary would definitely debate that. Bristol City (for the time being at least) is in the championship just like Cardiff.

AlwaysBeBlue

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Jennifer wrote:
AlwaysBeBlue wrote:Bristol is bigger but would not say better.

The Cardiff issue is that the population is small and you can only grow with your surrounding population.

Cardiff has amazing and unique arcades, roofed stadium, better football clubs and better park space. Also a compact city centre that people seem to like.

Cardiff needs to grow and the people need to grow with it. It is a Capital City after all. We are not a small town but a growing City that will get taller and bigger. If you don't like this, then maybe a small village is for you.

Which city is better or not is purely a subjective issue and should not be confused with the true facts. I myself subjectively speaking prefer Bristol

It’s brimming with culture and many original themes. For example the Wallace and Grommit/ Shaun the sheep trails in the city that were a huge success a few years back. Cardiff is now going to mimic this with "The snowman & Snowdog"
So much going on in the summer,

The balloon fiesta
Harbour festival
Ashton court festival
St Paul Street carnival festival (currently on hold)
Numerous other smaller music festivals.

Cardiff has the advantage of having a much larger venue i.e. the Principality stadium so is able to attract much higher profiled performances and larger crowds. But other than this and the pool/ ice arena in the bay, Bristol surpasses Cardiff in every other way.

Just walking through Bristol you get the feel your in major city unlike Cardiff which seems compact and town like although its growing rapidly.

You may be right in claiming Cardiff has the edge in terms of football, but then some this side of the estuary would definitely debate that. Bristol City (for the time being at least) is in the championship just like Cardiff.

I think mainly because Bristol is bigger with a larger population.
Cardiff has its culture side and used to have the Butetown carnival that was very good back in the 80s. You can have a look on YouTube

The casablanka club where local sound systems used to take on sound systems from around the UK was one of the best Reggae clubs in the UK.

Cardiff has just done things on a smaller scale and maybe it does feel like a town at times but I believe it is friendlier and people know each other from one of the City to the other.

Just as Manchester is bigger and has more going on than Bristol. Is it better ?

Jantra

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Of course manchester is better. Good grief whatever next

moyceyyy

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 1:32 am

Yeah manchester is like 5 times the size. Its better no doubts

moyceyyy

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 1:35 am

And Motion is an incredible club. When was the last time you went? In the past 5 years its become a world leader for DnB and Techno.

Jantra

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 8:11 am

moyceyyy wrote:And Motion is an incredible club. When was the last time you went? In the past 5 years its become a world leader for DnB and Techno.

Sadly, my days of clubbing are generally behind me. I was out dancing to acid house when you were still an itch in your daddy's pants

I think you misunderstand me, I like bristol. Its always had a nightlife that I think is better than Cardiff (unless you like chain bars and getting pissed). But it's not as great as you think it is. Leeds is better, so is Liverpool, Glasgow and Sheffield

Cen

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:19 am

This is an interesting topic, but I think it's time we spoke about this tower instead! Quick, before Paul tells us off :lol:

Perhaps move this to a Cardiff v Bristol thread?

lees

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:34 am

Hi Peiriannydd

You mentioned that there was a plan B! Are you able to share some info with regards to this?

PS thank you for the updates you have been providing, this is much appreciated :D

Lee
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum