It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Philnpt

Re: New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:15 am

lees wrote:Hi Peiriannydd

You mentioned that there was a plan B! Are you able to share some info with regards to this?

PS thank you for the updates you have been providing, this is much appreciated :D

Lee

I would imagine the plan B is to convert it to a PRS rather than student accommodation as Watkins & jones have done in Swansea

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:24 am

Cheers Cen and Lees, back on topic! anyone feel free to start a new thread re this Cardiff v Bristol debate. As much as I love hearing about Bristol :? on this particular thread a potential 132 meter tower in Cardiff interests me a lot more!! ;)

now then about plan B....
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Jantra

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:34 am

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:Cheers Cen and Lees, back on topic! anyone feel free to start a new thread re this Cardiff v Bristol debate. As much as I love hearing about Bristol :? on this particular thread a potential 132 meter tower in Cardiff interests me a lot more!! ;)

I thought we had moved on from music and were back to discussing the tower

:mrgreen:

Jennifer

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 11:09 am

All projects of this magnitude have plans beyond A. I don’t think filling these blocks will at all be an issue for developers as this is a nationwide thing that has been mandated centrally. It’s almost like a guarantee give to these developers behind the scenes saying, “Build and thou shall be ok.”

Most universities in the UK are in expansion mode and seek to attract ever more international students preferably form elite backgrounds. This will in turn provide an economic boost to the nation.

Immigration is needed for the UK come Brexit or not. The quality of people coming in to the UK is now being addressed and this is manifesting itself through the education sector through independent schools/colleges and of course universities. These graduates will probably stay on in the UK in highly paid employment which should drive the economy forward.

Plan B if ever envisaged would be a temporary change of use to perhaps short term serviced apartments until the market catches up which in even a worst case scenario is likely to do so.

Student developments are in full swing nationwide, it’s just that alongside other concepts i.e. Enterprise zones, housing developments (excluding flats), expansion of airports, City deals, Cardiff has been a bit behind the curve in the uptake.
It’s really exciting to see Cardiff with all this momentum. It has a great future and will lift the whole of south wales for the better.

Briz-Tim

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 1:33 pm

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:Cheers Cen and Lees, back on topic! anyone feel free to start a new thread re this Cardiff v Bristol debate. As much as I love hearing about Bristol :? on this particular thread a potential 132 meter tower in Cardiff interests me a lot more!! ;)

Done :mrgreen:

Peiriannydd

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 8:06 pm

lees wrote:Hi Peiriannydd

You mentioned that there was a plan B! Are you able to share some info with regards to this?

PS thank you for the updates you have been providing, this is much appreciated :D

Lee

It's no secret that Watkin Jones are looking to diversify their business by moving into the private residential sector, particularly private rental (short-term and long-term). That aspiration was highlighted in their stock market float. The reality is that there are only so many student accomodation schemes left to be built or redeveloped around the UK.

"Plan B" may involve part or all of this building being used for that purpose. It very much depends on the numbers and what deals can be struck, what changes this would mean to the design and subsequent impact on construction etc. Bridge St was sold in advance of construction commencing, I imagine a similar deal will be considered. These are some of the issues being considered as the scheme moves foward.

moyceyyy

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:17 pm

And if the Plan B was to commence, is it a possibility that there could be a split use in the tower?

And what would the repercussions be in terms of the height? Would it still be the signature tower of Cardiff's skyline?

Peiriannydd

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:27 pm

As stated earlier, there are no plans to significantly reduce the height.

moyceyyy

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:39 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:As stated earlier, there are no plans to significantly reduce the height.

Nice one, thanks!

lees

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 10:31 am

Thank you Peiriannydd for the up dates

Really looking forward to some movement, hoping its not to far in the future, I guess I ll have to be patient :}}
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum