It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Briz-Tim

Re: Cardiff airport

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 3:33 pm

That's probably some ways off.

Simon_SW17

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Not a major announcement but a nice route to Madrid and a new airline (albeit part of IAG which owns Vueling).

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/new-cardiff-airport-madrid-summer-12854241

I haven't heard much blurb about CWL recently, is it still growing passenger numbers?

RandomComment

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 11:05 am

Thats a good route - Madrid is a good hub to travel on to Central and South America. It makes getting to places like Mexico, Peru, Cuba, Chile, Argentina, much easier. Its also a beautiful and good value city itself!

Zach

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 6:33 pm

Thats a good route - Madrid is a good hub to travel on to Central and South America. It makes getting to places like Mexico, Peru, Cuba, Chile, Argentina, much easier. Its also a beautiful and good value city itself!

You might think you know about economics but you sure as hell know nothing about long haul air travel.

So you want to organise your trip to say Buenos Aires EZE using this flight from Cardiff.
Flights all have to be booked separately as there no through ticketing, a bit risky but lets do it!

You must fly on either a Thursday or Sunday which is a bit limiting. Then you arrive at Madrid, your Bags not through checked, out of the terminal and customs then back in at midnight and then you discover there are no direct flights from MAD to EZE any how and you have missed the last 1 stop flight via Chile.

Me, I would drive to Heathrow terminal 5 and get a non stop BA flight and be there cheaper and a lot quicker while you are bedded down in Madrid terminal for the night :lol:

The route is a tourist route to Madrid, end of.

RandomComment

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Zach wrote:

You might think you know about economics but you sure as hell know nothing about long haul air travel.

So you want to organise your trip to say Buenos Aires EZE using this flight from Cardiff.
Flights all have to be booked separately as there no through ticketing, a bit risky but lets do it!

You must fly on either a Thursday or Sunday which is a bit limiting. Then you arrive at Madrid, your Bags not through checked, out of the terminal and customs then back in at midnight and then you discover there are no direct flights from MAD to EZE any how and you have missed the last 1 stop flight via Chile.

Me, I would drive to Heathrow terminal 5 and get a non stop BA flight and be there cheaper and a lot quicker while you are bedded down in Madrid terminal for the night :lol:

Have you checked that all flights have to be booked separately?

I had through flights with Iberia Express: London - Madrid - Gran Can - Madrid - London, admittedly booked via Avios.

And Iberia Express code share with both Iberia and BA. Unless they have restricted this option for this particular route, I can't see why one can't do it? Having said that when I look online very few through routes are showing up.

RandomComment

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 7:02 pm

I should just say it looks like they've not got Cardiff properly set up on their system. It doesn't show up as an arrival city if you do a multi-part booking (which it should do, irrespective of whether you can book a through route or not).

Peiriannydd

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 12:01 am

Zach wrote:

Alternatively, you could just spend a day or two in Madrid on route. It's a nice city, not as nice as Barcelona in my opinion, but it's well worth the trip.

The cynic in my wonders how long this new route will last after the Champions League final.

Zach

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 5:55 pm

The cynic in my wonders how long this new route will last after the Champions League final.

I thought this too!

It starts in April for two weeks then takes a break until a week or so after the finals then resumes for only three months.??
Get those long haul bookings to Latin America in fast :oops:

On the plus side, the fares on this route are very cheap.
Yes Madrid is a fab city, if you watch out for the pick pockets and the scenic route taxi drivers

Peiriannydd

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Zach wrote:Yes Madrid is a fab city, if you watch out for the pick pockets and the scenic route taxi drivers

Barcelona is supposed to be worse for pick pockets, but I've never had a problem in either city. Regarding taxis, who needs them when you have a good Metro?

lucky

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Sounds like it might be useful for flights to World Pride this year in Madrid, mind.

But I actually came here to flag up a non-Exec appointment being advertised on the company managing the airport for WG - those of you with strong opinions and some business management experience might fancy a few hundred quid a day for a few days a year: https://publicappointments.cabinetoffic ... gc-holdco/
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum