It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:15 am

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

moyceyyy

Re: Central Square

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 5:01 am

Yeah I was referring to the bus station.

And agreed. Why and how that design was thought of is completely out of my mind. Its the gap between the offices and the accommodation which does it for me, its two ugly buildings sitting on ONE base! Like a podium! Its awful. Would rather the whole thing become one box than this, maybe with a slanted roof. I've seen some nice examples of that being used in the uni in my hometown (Lampeter)

moyceyyy

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 5:30 am

But hey! Gensler are designing HMRC HQ, which means we will hopefully see something really nice. ANy ideas when the plans will be revealed?

Philnpt

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 8:57 am

This is an interesting read
http://cardiff.moderngov.co.uk/document ... %20002.pdf
The council have had the designs for the hmrc building since February
Also hmrc will be taking control of the building on the first of April 2019 with an expected construction start no later than September 2017

Kyle

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 9:12 am

Peiriannydd wrote:Ask anyone in property and they'll tell you that a city (particularly a capital) always needs a continual supply of quality office space for businesses.

I keep saying, out business/office area of woeful for a capital city. If we are to attract blue-chip companies to Cardiff, then we need to do more.

I commented before that Lloyd George Avenue was a missed opportunity. Here we could have built a nice stretch of offices that linked Callaghan Sq with the Bay. Maybe this will be achieved via Dumballs Road and Trade St instead. Things appear to be going that way.

One development that seems to be forgetton about, is Rightacres development One Canal Parade
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... e-11358005
It's taking shape and coming along nicely. I have wondered though why they are doing it when they are bogged down with Central Square.

I think it's aimed at lower rent seeking customers maybe, so to compete with Capital Quarter maybe? It does look quite nice and hopefully it won't be the only building they put up there. Naming it like they have hopefully there'll at least be a number 2?

They've all but wrapped up Central Square anyway. Number 1 is fully let, number 2 likewise and obviously the BBC building. Taking into account what is going to happen north of Wood Street they only have office space above the new bus station to let, and when you consider L&G are handing £400m to them gradually for it they can maybe afford to compete on more than one front.

Edit: I meant to add that the crane is down at the One Canal Parade site so I guess they can't be far from externally completing it. I might have a walk one lunchtime next week to have a look.

Jantra

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 10:38 am

Philnpt wrote:This is an interesting read
Also hmrc will be taking control of the building on the first of April 2019 with an expected construction start no later than September 2017

Good find. Fair play to the council they really have pushed this forward. Are the appendices available?

Philnpt

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 10:55 am

Jantra wrote:
Philnpt wrote:This is an interesting read

Good find. Fair play to the council they really have pushed this forward. Are the appendices available?

I can't find any more info on it, for some reason the council are keeping this development out of the public domain.
We should be seeing something soon though if they plan on being on site in September.
Last edited by Philnpt on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

moyceyyy

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Philnpt wrote:I can't find any more info on it, for some reason the council are keeping this development out of the public realm.
We should be seeing something soon though if they plan on being on site in September.

hopefully they're not hiding it from us because its shit.

Mr Blue Sky

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 8:28 am

Funding fears for new bus station:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-39296544

Who could have predicted this turn of events?

I see in the article that Ramesh Patel blames the LibDems for the demolition of the old bus station! The blame game, it seems, has begun.

"Welcome to the Great British Cardiff International Bus Station.

"You will find coffee lounges, craft beer haunts, pop-up chimichanga huts, artisan bakers and a diversity hub. Unfortunately, due to funding difficulties, there are no buses.

"We hope that you enjoy your journey."

Zach

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 11:10 am

Absolutely incredible. This area of the city was primarily a transport interchange, this seems to have been forgotten in a rush for retail and office development and a quick buck selling off the land.

"The council is seeking to secure delivery of the bus interchange within the financial envelope of existing capital allocations and intends to conclude these negotiations in time to enable the construction to commence immediately following completion of demolition and site preparation works." :shock: i.e. we have run out of money!

I would have thought that this should have been sorted out before the development started, just show how amateur some Labour councillors are. Never had a real job in their lives.

Peiriannydd

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 12:52 pm

"The council is seeking to secure delivery of the bus interchange within the financial envelope of existing capital allocations and intends to conclude these negotiations in time to enable the construction to commence immediately following completion of demolition and site preparation works."

Well that explains the shoddy "value" engineering exercise. But what I would ask is:
1)Why wasn't this sorted out as part of the land transfer agreement?
2)What contractual penalty clauses are in place for the council to seek compensation if Rightacres don't deliver?

The incompentence of Labour is staggering. Honestly, the only person dumber than a Labour politician is someone who votes for one!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum