It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:06 am

South Wales Mainline Electrification

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Frank

Re: South Wales Mainline Electrification

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 10:18 am

If you look at the numbers travelling along the line, Temple Meads plus Parkway is much more than Cardiff Central - although revenue per journey must be more from Cardiff of course because of higher ticket prices. I think this is partly a sop to the Welsh - the Tories now have a few tight marginals to defend and the Union is creaking - but also they can say Bristol IS getting electrification, it's just Parkway rather than Temple Meads.

Zach

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 11:19 am

Network Rail are far more interested in the development of Padding Station into a retail and office hub, than about anything to do with nasty smelly trains.
Does this remind anyone of developments closer to home??

Mr Blue Sky

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 am

Frank wrote:If you look at the numbers travelling along the line, Temple Meads plus Parkway is much more than Cardiff Central - although revenue per journey must be more from Cardiff of course because of higher ticket prices. I think this is partly a sop to the Welsh - the Tories now have a few tight marginals to defend and the Union is creaking - but also they can say Bristol IS getting electrification, it's just Parkway rather than Temple Meads.

Frank, BTM+BP=13.2 million passengers annually
Cardiff Central=12.7 million passengers annually

Do you have the figures for passengers using GW trains at those stations?

Frank

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 12:28 pm

I have seen them before and I'm sure thhe numbers were higher for Temple Meads at least - journeys to Paddington now. Cardiff may have more passengers overall of course.

moyceyyy

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Frank wrote:I have seen them before and I'm sure thhe numbers were higher for Temple Meads at least - journeys to Paddington now. Cardiff may have more passengers overall of course.

This seems right, Cardiff's unusually large passenger numbers are due to the valley lines. Bristol doesnt have anywhere near as many satellite towns as Cardiff.

Peiriannydd

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 2:25 pm

moyceyyy wrote:
Frank wrote:I have seen them before and I'm sure thhe numbers were higher for Temple Meads at least - journeys to Paddington now. Cardiff may have more passengers overall of course.

This seems right, Cardiff's unusually large passenger numbers are due to the valley lines. Bristol doesnt have anywhere near as many satellite towns as Cardiff.

Don't forget that the trains to and from Taunton, Western-Supermare, Portsmouth Harbour, Exeter, Cornwall, Gloucester all go through Temple Meads. Also the Cross Country trains (Endinburgh, Glasgow, and the North of England).

We need to see the passenger numbers to and from London Paddington to make a comparison.

I think there is politics at play here. Yes, the Tories are doing this to please the Welsh. But I'm hearing too many complaints from Bristol at the moment. Maybe it hasn't sunk in. Or perhaps, they're looking to offset this and stub-out competition from walls by massively expanding the office space around Bristol Parkway?

moyceyyy

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 3:57 pm

While it is possible to mass build offices around Parkway, there is only one greenfield site around Harry Stoke, this is an extremely well protected area and oh my goodness, the NIMBYISM can literally be seen by looking at the people that live there!

Aviva HQ site is nearby that employs thousands, and by extension the MOD HQ at Filton Junction, so it wouldnt be that much of a shock to see more being built in that area.

Briz-Tim

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 4:08 pm

The populations of South East Wales and the equivalent area surrounding Bristol are essentially the same numbers wise. The difference is there is a greater scarcity of branch lines, stations and services over in that part of England, hence the lower number of people using the local network.

moyceyyy

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 4:36 pm

Briz-Tim wrote:The populations of South East Wales and the equivalent area surrounding Bristol are essentially the same numbers wise. The difference is there is a greater scarcity of branch lines, stations and services over in that part of England, hence the lower number of people using the local network.

SE Wales edges it a little but you're right, if there were individual railway lines going all over bristol to places like Fishponds, or Hanham and maybe places in the South and as far as Weston Super-Mare then I think Bristols numbers would dwarf Cardiff's

Peiriannydd

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 4:53 pm

moyceyyy wrote:While it is possible to mass build offices around Parkway, there is only one greenfield site around Harry Stoke, this is an extremely well protected area and oh my goodness, the NIMBYISM can literally be seen by looking at the people that live there!

Aviva HQ site is nearby that employs thousands, and by extension the MOD HQ at Filton Junction, so it wouldnt be that much of a shock to see more being built in that area.

How about a £100m development to start with:
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/201 ... ce-scheme/
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum