It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:45 pm

Cardiff Bay/Mermaid Quay developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

moyceyyy

Re: Cardiff Bay/Mermaid Quay developments

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 3:51 pm

I checked out the plans. It looks like we will be getting a 93m tower (or triangle, lol) in the area.

While I'm HUGELY towards having a signature tower in the bay area (cough cough, will BayScape phase 2 ever be completed!), I dont know whether this is it. I appreciate creativity, but this is going to look a little too weird for me. It would look fine if the triangle was a bit steeper to make it into more of a tower, but at the moment I can safely say that this is whack.

Lyndon

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 5:18 pm

I am sufficiently opposed to this scheme to actively campaign against it.

ABP have shitloads of land around the Bay, and virtually any of it would be a better location. Plonk the thing down 200 metres to the south opposite the Doctor Who Experience and I would be happy to support it.

Briz-Tim

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Personally speaking, I don't see it being built

Cen

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 pm

It might be an unpopular opinion but I quite like it. It doesn't detract from the Norwegian Chuch as much as it could. The sloped design helps.

I can't see it being rejected. This has been known about for a while. The council would have told them whether it's feasible or not by now. And what with the somewhat "relaxed" planning committee meetings recently, I'd say this is going ahead.

Philnpt

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Cen wrote:It might be an unpopular opinion but I quite like it. It doesn't detract from the Norwegian Chuch as much as it could. The sloped design helps.

I can't see it being rejected. This has been known about for a while. The council would have told them whether it's feasible or not by now. And what with the somewhat "relaxed" planning committee meetings recently, I'd say this is going ahead.

I agree, apart from the loss of the park I quite like it and can't see it being rejected

moyceyyy

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 am

Its too odd for me. reminds me of those questions we got in maths as kids where we had to work out the angle in each corner of the triangle. It would be fine if it were steeper.

I am very impressed with the height, however.

RandomComment

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 pm

I quite like the design: its different and could become a bit of a landmark for the city/bay.

And I don't think the shading of the park is a bit issue. With the tower arranged as it is, with the highest element to the north east, the sun should start coming in to the southern part of the park fairly early: I imagine its only really the northern part of the park that has any real issues with overshadowing.

My main concern is car parking. This is not really a sustainable location from a public transport point of view. Yes, there are bus stops nearby but the train station is a bit of a walk (and Cardiff Bay train station is not that well connected to the wider network). A parking ratio of roughly 1 per 4 units would seem far too low: for such a location it should be more like 1:2 or 1:1.5.

At the same time there would be a loss of the current parking spaces. Where will people park for the Norwegian church? For all the restaurant and shop uses? Yes people can use public transport, or park in the Mermaid Quay or Pierhead Street car parks.. but intensification of the use of the bay, with a reduction in car parking spaces could lead to problems during busy summer weekends.

lucky

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 2:20 pm

The parking is a huge problem - losing spaces for the public while not providing enough for the development, with all those new flats in there? And building on the only decent bit of greenery which people use in the summer for picnics, when there's all the derelict areas nearby? As another local resident, I agree with Lyndon - by all means let's have more things in the Bay, both residential and infrastructural, but build them on the dead land and not the small recreational space already well used. And put sufficient parking spaces in any plans.

Cen

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 2:43 pm

They're actually creating parkland and picnic areas with this development by removing the car park, so the "removal of parkland" argument isn't really true. They're also not really building on any significant bit of greenery. Not much, anyway. The bulk of the development is on brownfield land. The parking, however, could be an issue.

solaris

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 2:57 pm

The Metro has the potential to see direct services (and more of them) to Cardiff Bay Station from across the region....
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum