It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

Eastern Bay Link

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Baysailor

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 10:08 am

If they ever extend the link, the roundabout at the other end could be decommissioned as it doesn't seem to have a purpose right now (assuming the planners go for straightening out the road and building a flyover past the roundabout to get over the train tracks).

RandomComment

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 11:33 am

That "splaying" as you call it is nowhere near wide enough for them to create a grade separated junction on that side of the roundabout. For a start, the incline up to get over the roundabout would have to be really quite steep - much steeper than you usually get in the UK (although not some developing countries!). Second the exit and entrance ramps would be very short: too short to speed up and slow down, in my view.

I think the reason for the splaying is much more mundane: it reduces the extent to which cars entering and exiting the (non grade-separated) A4232 will have to turn. If they had not splayed a car entering would have to start turning right around the roundabout and then start turning left. That would slow them down for sure and could potentially be dangerous.

So I'm afraid we're likely to be stuck with an at-grade A4232 for the remaining section - if it ever gets completed!

moyceyyy

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 12:39 pm

RandomComment wrote:That "splaying" as you call it is nowhere near wide enough for them to create a grade separated junction on that side of the roundabout. For a start, the incline up to get over the roundabout would have to be really quite steep - much steeper than you usually get in the UK (although not some developing countries!). Second the exit and entrance ramps would be very short: too short to speed up and slow down, in my view.

I think the reason for the splaying is much more mundane: it reduces the extent to which cars entering and exiting the (non grade-separated) A4232 will have to turn. If they had not splayed a car entering would have to start turning right around the roundabout and then start turning left. That would slow them down for sure and could potentially be dangerous.

So I'm afraid we're likely to be stuck with an at-grade A4232 for the remaining section - if it ever gets completed!

Just looked at the plans and I can safely say theres no argument there. Oh well.

dave

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 6:19 pm

The road, which will provide a more direct route between the A4232 and Rover Way, should help ease congestion on the day of the Champions League final

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... t-12787947

Zach

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks Dave!!!

This was the far more interesting snippet.
As a result a 180m bridge built on embankments has been extended to 670m in total
:o

This means half the road is elevated, which must have meant a massive cost over run, who pays, fixed price contract??

moyceyyy

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 9:24 pm

Im pretty sure it said the original cost was 27m before the bridge had to be extended, no? I cant find any other reason why a 1km road costs 57m.

Also, interesting to see that Rover way wont be dualled in its entirety, and instead half of it will be a completely new road going along the coast, south of existing rover way.

Zach

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 9:30 pm

The map wales online used was from a ten year old AtoZ I would take the route too literally.

moyceyyy

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Zach wrote:The map wales online used was from a ten year old AtoZ I would take the route too literally.

Good point. There were some pretty ambitious designs about 10 years ago, I remember seeing a cgi image about a year ago of the proposed junction at Ocean Way. The a4232 was shown compeletely bypassing the roundabout on a viaduct going over the sea, with the slip roads going to the roundabout forming a large T junction.

Unfortunately I havent been able to find that image since.

Zach

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 9:50 pm

I think cartographers just made up some dotted line as they had no clue where the bypass would go. This is the only image I've ever seen and it just get repeated and repeated.

moyceyyy

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 9:54 pm

I honestly think the only route that makes sense its dualling Rover way.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum