It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

National Gallery of Modern Welsh Art

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Peiriannydd

National Gallery of Modern Welsh Art

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Anybody else noticed this in the news?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39352607
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39340960

It got me excited for a moment and the I saw that it was a condition that Plaid Cymru put on passing the last budget. Which means it'll be stuck in the middle of nowhere, with poor public transport links and few people actually visiting.

What a shame the Coal Exchange is being used for a hotel! I always said that if it wasn't going to be the Parliament building (or some other government department) then it should be a gallery of some description.

Regardless, it should be in Cardiff which is supposed to be the capital city of Wales.

Jantra

Re: National Gallery of Modern Welsh Art

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 7:16 am

Peiriannydd wrote:Anybody else noticed this in the news?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39352607
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39340960

It got me excited for a moment and the I saw that it was a condition that Plaid Cymru put on passing the last budget. Which means it'll be stuck in the middle of nowhere, with poor public transport links and few people actually visiting.

What a shame the Coal Exchange is being used for a hotel! I always said that if it wasn't going to be the Parliament building (or some other government department) then it should be a gallery of some description.

Regardless, it should be in Cardiff which is supposed to be the capital city of Wales.

But the coal exchange is in cardiff :mrgreen:

Karl

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 8:45 am

I'd be surprised if it is in Cardiff (if in fact it ever gets off the ground). I've mixed feelings about that. Cardiff is about the only urban area in Wales that anyone would actually make a point of visiting, which is possibly damning with faint praise. It makes sense - if you actually want visitors - to put it in Cardiff. On the other hand do we really want to create our own miniature version of England with everything weighted towards a small part of the south east of the country?

If it is in Cardiff I'd like to see it at the Temple of Peace with a large glass and Portland stone extension to the rear. I really like the simplicity of that building and think it would be a good space for art.

On the subject of the civic centre - slightly changing the subject - I'd like to see the area in fronnt of the City Hall and Museum developed. Get rid of parking and have a proper paved and grassed area stretching to Boulevard de Nantes perhaps with formal gardens. I think the way we treat the space outside detracts from the setting. I can't imagine that the loss of revenue from parking would be that great either.

Cen

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:00 am

I'd like to see things spread across Wales, but unfortunately we don't have the infrastructure necessary. I've never been to the National Library purely because it takes about 3 years to get to Aberystwyth! So that means that currently, if we want anyone at all to visit these places, they have to be in South Wales (or North Wales if you're more concerned with visitors from Northern England).

It's about time we saw some real national infrastructure plans, or we'll never be able to keep up with the world.

moyceyyy

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 2:39 pm

To add to what Cen wrote about real infrastructure ...

Wales is the only developed country (if you could say that..) in the WORLD without a high quality dual carriageway link from North-South, or a Railway N-S.

Meanwhile hundreds of millions are being pumped into a hopeless campaign - trying (and failing) to keep the Welsh language alive.

As a first language Welsh speaker myself.. this is rubbish.

dave

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 5:00 pm

Wales is nothing without its language. Not much defines us as a nation already.

Lyndon

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 5:04 pm

moyceyyy wrote:To add to what Cen wrote about real infrastructure ...

Wales is the only developed country (if you could say that..) in the WORLD without a high quality dual carriageway link from North-South, or a Railway N-S.

Meanwhile hundreds of millions are being pumped into a hopeless campaign - trying (and failing) to keep the Welsh language alive.

Back under the bridge troll!

Hundreds of millions, indeed.... :roll:

Jantra

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 6:52 pm

dave wrote:Wales is nothing without its language. Not much defines us as a nation already.

Bollocks

Peiriannydd

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 6:57 pm

Cen wrote:I'd like to see things spread across Wales, but unfortunately we don't have the infrastructure necessary. I've never been to the National Library purely because it takes about 3 years to get to Aberystwyth! So that means that currently, if we want anyone at all to visit these places, they have to be in South Wales (or North Wales if you're more concerned with visitors from Northern England).

It's about time we saw some real national infrastructure plans, or we'll never be able to keep up with the world.

Likewise, I've never been to the National Library due to the travel times. I think it would help if the line from Carmarthen to Aberystwyth is re-opened, but going via Shrewsbury is ridiculous.

Sadly, our rail infrastructure was much better c.1900 when decisions about locating the National Library and National Museum were taking place. It was possible to travel North-South and East-West at various locations via the railway network.

The Westminster government weren't interesting in Wales developing any further sense of a nation when Beecham's axe fell. It would have been something if they had replaced the railway lines with a propper motorway.

To some extent I can agree in that we shouldn't be following England's example of locating everything in the South East corner of the country. It's worth noting that England hasn't always been so London focused. Sure, it's been the political and commercial capital for centuries, but cities like Birmingham and Manchester developed around huge industries. Around them grew local banks and other financial services. The problem has been industrial decline that's skewed things so badly.

The problem for Wales is that we need a major city that is going to develop a critical mass in all areas, whether it be business and finance, engineering, arts etc. The leading city at the moment is Cardiff and that's where the focus should be. We shouldn't neglect the other areas, but we should repeat mistakes either.

The National Library should have been in the Cardiff, which went on to become the capital. It would have been far more accessible.

Similarly, the Botantical Gardens of Wales have suffered with visitor numbers and consequently its finances, being down in Carmarthen. Sure, it's got loads of space but you can't get there unless you have a car. No such problems at Kew or in Glasgow.

moyceyyy

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 7:22 pm

Lyndon wrote:
moyceyyy wrote:To add to what Cen wrote about real infrastructure ...

Back under the bridge troll!

Hundreds of millions, indeed.... :roll:

Erm excuse me?!

At LEAST over 100m. For a start, its the law to learn Welsh until you're in year 11, which is madness. A huge waste of resources spent on a subject that no-one wants to study! (Dont even argue with me on this, 90% of people hate learning it) It should become a choice upon reaching GCSE's at year 9. In no way should a minority language be forced down peoples throats.

It was recently announced that the Welsh Government was funding Welsh Language projects with an EXTRA 42 MILLION POUNDS! This, on top of existing laws like bilingual sings and services (which I fully support!) and the S4C which needs tens of millions!

if you fail to realise the Welsh language does not cost at least nine figures then you need to wake up my friend. Under the bridge!
Last edited by moyceyyy on Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum