It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

National Gallery of Modern Welsh Art

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Peiriannydd

Re: National Gallery of Modern Welsh Art

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 7:28 pm

I started this thread to talk about a proposed art gallery. Can those who want to get into an argument over the Welsh language please piss off to somewhere else?

Thanks,

P

moyceyyy

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 7:35 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:I started this thread to talk about a proposed art gallery. Can those who want to get into an argument over the Welsh language please piss off to somewhere else?

Thanks,

P

You're right, Welsh isn't even worth arguing over.

Lyndon

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 7:54 pm

Perhaps moyceyyy could exhibit his finger painting in the new gallery?

Which should be in Swansea, by the way.

Harok

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 8:34 pm

What's the point in this?

I don't really understand why there should be a museum solely dedicated to modern Welsh art. Why is it not a modern art museum that also includes Welsh art? To me this shows the lack of ambition that this country is putting forward at this time, and it's a real shame. I really wish that Wales would see itself as more than just little old Wales. Be ambitious!

Peiriannydd

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 8:49 pm

Harok wrote:I don't really understand why there should be a museum solely dedicated to modern Welsh art. Why is it not a modern art museum that also includes Welsh art? To me this shows the lack of ambition that this country is putting forward at this time, and it's a real shame. I really wish that Wales would see itself as more than just little old Wales. Be ambitious!

Totally agree with that. I don't see the point in opening something with such a narrow focus. It would also limit the opportunity for exhibitions of loaned art as well.

At one stage, the national museum and gallery actually had one of the largest collection of French Impressionist and Post-Impressionist works in Britain, courtesy of the Davies sisters. Why not build a home for it or transfer large amounts of that collection to the new gallery? There is so little space in the current gallery that the vast majority of it remains in storage.

Mr Blue Sky

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 12:01 am

Cardiff has the Artes Mundi prize every two years and I make sure I visit. This guy won most recently.

http://www.artesmundi.org/en/artists/john-akomfrah

His piece was original, beautiful, poignant, meaningful and richly deserving of the prize. This is contemporary art but I understand that the proposed museum would be for both modern and contemporary art.

The Cardiff Centre for Visual Arts flopped in 2000 but that was down to the hefty entrance fee. I willingly paid it and enjoyed my visit but charging is not a good idea unless the gallery has an incredible collection or is in a wealthy, very touristy city.

The National Gallery has good collections of modern and contemporary art with pieces by Welsh artists. I think a museum of Welsh Art in Cardiff would be a good idea. There have always been permanent galleries/displays of "Welsh art through the ages" at the Cathays Park museum but a dedicated building somewhere nearby would be great, freeing up the rest of the museum for its collections of other art/artefacts.

I think that given that Cardiff has the National Museum/Gallery plus the National History Museum that siting a new gallery in Merthyr, Newport or Swansea should be considered. They are all very easy to reach from Cardiff and would give a huge boost to any of those places. Given the size of the collections held by National Museum Wales, maybe a disused building in each of our large towns and cities could be converted and pieces could tour, like they do with the Tate's collections?
Last edited by Mr Blue Sky on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Blue Sky

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 12:06 am

Peiriannydd wrote:
Harok wrote:I don't really understand why there should be a museum solely dedicated to modern Welsh art. Why is it not a modern art museum that also includes Welsh art? To me this shows the lack of ambition that this country is putting forward at this time, and it's a real shame. I really wish that Wales would see itself as more than just little old Wales. Be ambitious!

Totally agree with that. I don't see the point in opening something with such a narrow focus. It would also limit the opportunity for exhibitions of loaned art as well.

At one stage, the national museum and gallery actually had one of the largest collection of French Impressionist and Post-Impressionist works in Britain, courtesy of the Davies sisters. Why not build a home for it or transfer large amounts of that collection to the new gallery? There is so little space in the current gallery that the vast majority of it remains in storage.

The collection still exists and is one of the best in public ownership anywhere in the world. There are many even better collections but they are mainly situated in the US and are in private hands. Many of the 19th and 20th century industrialists in America had the same idea as the Davies sisters but lacked their largesse. There are dozens of such private collections each with literally $billions worth of art.

I don't think a city can have too many art galleries, especially public ones.

moyceyyy

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 11:29 am

Lyndon wrote:Perhaps moyceyyy could exhibit his finger painting in the new gallery?

Which should be in Swansea, by the way.

Resorting to insults clearly tells me who the real child here is. Anhygoel o plentynaidd.

I would actually like this to be based in somewhere like Aberystwyth, its a lovely university town. However the only link to actually get there from the South West is the A485 which is an incredibly long, twisty and tedious road to traverse, and the same with the its Eastern counterpart, the A470 which is equally as bad after Merthyr, and thats before you link with the A44! Shame we have no rail link, eh? :mrgreen:

Bangor would be a suitable location too if it also wasn't segregated from 80% of the Welsh population!

Peiriannydd

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I think that given that Cardiff has the National Museum/Gallery plus the National History Museum that siting a new gallery in Merthyr, Newport or Swansea should be considered. They are all very easy to reach from Cardiff and would give a huge boost to any of those places. Given the size of the collections held by National Museum Wales, maybe a disused building in each of our large towns and cities could be converted and pieces could tour, like they do with the Tate's collections?

I like the idea of having several locations, moving things around. Sure, it would cost a bit more and care would have to be taken with the art, but I don't see why museums don't move things around a bit more.

Peiriannydd

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 11:42 pm

Some interesting ideas regarding the location:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/s ... h-12858243
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum