It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Re: Metro

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 10:23 am

The metro is making good progress.

https://twitter.com/TWPUnderground

Cen

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 9:12 am

The Welsh Government are looking into battery-powered and diesel-electric hybrid trains on the Valley Lines instead of electrification. Is this some sort of joke? Now we've finally secured funding, let the disappointments and cutbacks commence. I'm sure this will be the first of many for our so-called "Metro".

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... s-12869708

Simon_SW17

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 10:26 am

What a crock of sh*te, battery technology trials have shown that there is a very limited range for trains, there's no way this is a goer at the moment.

Time should be spent in actually doing something about electrification and Metro rather than constant talk and consultation. It's been 4 years and zero progress so far, people should be removed and replaced by professionals ASAP.

Jantra

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Is there anyone out there who really expected anything less than a serious value engineering exercise.

It's been 4 years of nothing at all. In the next 4 years we will see double the output of the previous 4

solaris

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 12:53 pm

You really shouldn't believe everything you read in the press... or posted on this forum....or even discussed in committees....

Cen

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 12:56 pm

solaris wrote:You really shouldn't believe everything you read in the press... or posted on this forum....or even discussed in committees....

Well unfortunately, that's all we have. Because all involved in this project have been suspiciously tight-lipped about everything. Especially what type of rolling stock is being used!

In fact, the only thing they've ever been absolutely clear on is that Valley Lines will be electrified. And now even that is in doubt. Doesn't fill me with much hope.

Zach

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Maybe its time for the Labour controlled Assembly to release another video animation, elections in May?

I wonder if there are any of the Clipper Metro Ridders still around, they could be brought back to life and re-branded.

Peiriannydd

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Being a member of the Instution of CIvil Engineers, I recieve a subscription to the magazine "New Civil Engineer". I notice an article online today about these new trams being triall in the UK that can operation on both tram tracks and main railway lines. Cardiff was specifically mentioned and I have a feeling that this is what the Welsh Government is proposing to do when the Valleys Lines are electrified.
Attachments
Untitled2b.jpg
Article Part 2
Untitled2b.jpg (196.31 KiB) Viewed 9729 times
Untitled2a.jpg
Article Part 1
Untitled2a.jpg (218.29 KiB) Viewed 9729 times

Mathew5

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 10:29 pm

I guess Welsh Government do want to make sure they get everything right and not much can move forward til the new franchise is awarded.

I have it on good authority that all southbound valleys trains will terminate at Cardiff Central. Those wishing to carry on to Penarth, Barry and Maesteg will have to change trains.

Jonathan

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 4:56 am

Hi folks, I've been living in Vancouver for just over a year and had the pleasure of using their Skytrain service:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyTrain_(Vancouver)

When I visit home it makes me cringe to see and ride the trains Arriva use!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum