It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:06 am

How will you Vote at the General Election on June 8th ?

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Amoore

Re: How will you Vote at the General Election on June 8th ?

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 11:57 am

I feel there will be substantial swings towards the Tories in some of the Welsh Labour heartlands this year. Many of them have been on a knife edge after years of being taken for granted by Labour. Yes, there are many with clear memories of the Thatcher years, but they are also the same demographic which voted for Brexit, and therefore obvious candidates to switch from red to blue.

Lyndon

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Amoore wrote:I feel there will be substantial swings towards the Tories in some of the Welsh Labour heartlands this year. Many of them have been on a knife edge after years of being taken for granted by Labour. Yes, there are many with clear memories of the Thatcher years, but they are also the same demographic which voted for Brexit, and therefore obvious candidates to switch from red to blue.

There'll almost certainly be a swing against Labour in the Valleys. I find it incredibly unlikely it will be in favour of the Tories though.

Mathew5

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Indeed.

Both Plaid and UKIP will do well in the valleys. People are being divided by two nationalisms in many places like Caerffili.

Carlos

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Think I'll vote Tory again - as I'm selfish, against equality and against the majority of people in our society.

Either that or I think a stable Tory majority is probably the most viable, stable option for the country At an uncertain time.

Lyndon

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 am

Carlos wrote:Think I'll vote Tory again - as I'm selfish, against equality and against the majority of people in our society.

Either that or I think a stable Tory majority is probably the most viable, stable option for the country At an uncertain time.

Theresa May's speech on Tuesday where she criticised any political opposition to Brexit and demanded complete parliamentary unanimity was one of the most disturbingly fascistic things I've ever seen a prime minister say.

Amoore

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 10:16 am

The Tories are going to focus on those Labour-turned-UKIP voters in this campaign. I really wouldn't rule out something which has previously been unthinkable.

Lyndon

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 am

Most of the Labour>UKIP defectors are "low information" protest voters. If they abandon the Kippers they won't turn Tory, much more likely to go Plaid or LibDem.

Cwlcymro

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Plaid for me, not that it will make any difference in Torfaen!

Had enough of Welsh Labour's 'jobs for the boys' attitude, where winning power is all they care about. On the other hand the way the Tories and their newspaper friends are pushing this election as "crushing the saboteurs" is downright scary.

Whatever you may think of the SNP, there's no denying that them winning seats has made Westminster and the media give Scotland a lot more attention and more powers. Wales is quickly becoming the forgotten land. Look at the past couple of weeks, even Gibraltar has been more important to the UK government than Wales, because we're seen as unimportant and unlikely to cause a fuss. Imagine if Scotland get independence, and NI join the Republic. There is a serious risk of Wales becoming barely more than another English region. T

he only way to make Wales important to the people who run the UK, the only way to make them give us a second thought when devising policies or writing their newspapers, is to scare them and stop them taking us for granted. The only way to do that is to vote Plaid.

Peiriannydd

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Cwlcymro wrote:Whatever you may think of the SNP, there's no denying that them winning seats has made Westminster and the media give Scotland a lot more attention and more powers. Wales is quickly becoming the forgotten land. Look at the past couple of weeks, even Gibraltar has been more important to the UK government than Wales, because we're seen as unimportant and unlikely to cause a fuss. Imagine if Scotland get independence, and NI join the Republic. There is a serious risk of Wales becoming barely more than another English region.

I follow Scottish politics quite closely and my sister lives up there, so I go there quite often as well. The SNP may have given Scotland more media attention and more powers, but they've been anything but good for Scotland!

Most of their media air time has done litttle more than turn Scot against Scot and drive a wedge between people north and south of the border, puting off a lot of business investment in the process. Regarding those powers, well, the SNP don't fancy using them very much, that would require them to take responsibility and make difficult decisions. They have far more tools at their disposal than the Welsh Government and all they can do is whine and blame Westminster. They are a greivence party more suited to opposition but find themselves in government and incapable of doing anything more than campaigning for independence.

Scotland is becoming like Quebec in the 1980s/1990s. Stuck in a Neverendum with political uncertainty seeing economic stagnation and a flight of capital, investment and talent. If the SNP were serious about making Scotland a successful independent country, they'd focussing on their enconomy, tagetting investment, getting their massive defeciet down, improving education, running public services efficiently etc., not too mention some credible plans about currency and honesty about EU membership. But all of that is too much like hard work, it's easier to blame the Bogey Man (Tories).

I do fear for Wales if Scotland goes independent and NI joins the Republic, you'll really see English nationalism at its worst then!

Peiriannydd

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 8:24 pm

I know one has to be wary of polls these days, but is this the sign of things finally changing in Wales?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... Wales-main

The warning signs have been there for a while and Corbyn is not helping. Labour started collapsing in Scotland a good 5 years or so before the independence referendum. Perhaps Wales, the other Labour strongehold, is finally waking up.

But I don't think Wales will never vote Plaid because of the language issue.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum