It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

Dr Who Experience is closing

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Re: Dr Who Experience is closing

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 2:44 pm

There you go again, making all sensible sober comments, then bringing up the TV licence, out of the blue, as if it's connected to this in some way(!).

Its only an opinion "Simon 200" not a personal insult.

PS I have just realised what the 200 refers to !!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simon-Cowell-best-insults-quotes-ebook/dp/B00B0MLX3K

Peiriannydd

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Simon__200 wrote:There you go again, making all sensible sober comments, then bringing up the TV licence, out of the blue, as if it's connected to this in some way(!).

Actually, I believe it is, considering that the BBC is funded (whether in whole or part) by the TV licence.

Now we're discussing the likelyhood a popular attraction in Cardiff being closed for no obvious or publically-known reason, which will result in local job losses and potentially less tourists to the city.

Given that I am funding this corporation through my TV licence, I believe that I am entitled to voice my interest in wishing to withdraw such financial support.

Simon__200

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 7:53 am

Firstly, paying for a TV licence doesn't give you the right to decide what happens, just a say in what happens. Licence fee payers that aren't interested in The Doctor Who Experience also exist. The BBC is more like a bus than a taxi, in that it has to cater for all its passengers, not service one exclusively.

Secondly, you're technically and literally not funding BBC Wordwide with your licence fee. It's the corporation's commercial arm, is ring-fenced, and doesn't receive licence fee funding. I know that you might see this as semantics, because it's a wholly owned subsidiary of the corporation, but its decisions are supposed to be strictly commercial. It runs commercial TV channels both nationally and internationally, pays for and distributes both BBC and commercial TV content and commissions its own content too. Some of this content has never been broadcast by the BBC proper, or even broadcast in the UK. It's pretty far removed from the BBC and your licence fee.

Peiriannydd

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 11:32 am

I didn't say that it did give me the right to decide what happens. What I implied was that I should have the right to stop paying for a corporation that doesn't provide a service that I find satisfactory. You should actually read people's posts before jumping down their throats.

Regardless of this particularly decision, which may be made by a subsidiary arm of the BBC, there are many people (myself included) who don't like the BBC for all kinds of reasons and do not want to fund it, either through their mandatory licence fee or other taxes.

Again, it's my opinion, you will have yours and quite frankly I don't care what it is.

Jantra

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 12:36 pm

Engineer ( I can't spell it in welsh)
I don't know why you bother responding. He finds the negative in everything.

The long winter nights must fly by in his house.

Zach

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 2:08 pm

You don't want to confuse your BBC licence fee with BBC Worldwide.
You do not want to confuse them

You don't want to confuse BBC Enterprises and BBC Worldwide

You don't want to confuse License and Licence.
You do not want to confuse these things.

You don't now want to confuse Dr Who and Dr Shipman.

You don't want to confuse fact and opinion.
You do not want to confuse opinion and fact.

You don't realise I know everything.
Yaw know nothing!

Simon__200

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 6:09 am

Zach wrote:Image

You don't want to confuse your BBC licence fee with BBC Worldwide.

You don't want to confuse BBC Enterprises and BBC Worldwide

You don't want to confuse License and Licence.
You do not want to confuse these things.

You don't now want to confuse Dr Who and Dr Shipman.

You don't want to confuse fact and opinion.
You do not want to confuse opinion and fact.

You don't realise I know everything.
Yaw know nothing!

BBC Enterprises is what BBC Worldwode used to be called. It's the same thing, Einstein.

Simon__200

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 6:16 am

Jantra wrote:Engineer ( I can't spell it in welsh)
I don't know why you bother responding. He finds the negative in everything.

The long winter nights must fly by in his house.

I'm the one who find the negativity (noun) in everything ? Coming from Jantra?(!)

Plus, I'm not the one arguing against paying for a tax, that, according to analysts, adds £5 to the GDP for every £1 of expenditure. We don't have any other similar ring-fenced taxes, so it's unique in that respect, but if you consider it simply a tax, that alone is a pretty good case for it. But hell, keep thinking I'm the one being negative in that closed little mind of yours, by all means.

Zach

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 5:01 pm

BBC Enterprises is what BBC Worldwode used to be called. It's the same thing, Einstein.

I think you hit nail on the head without knowing it, old boy!

From Middle English wode, from Old English wōd (“mad, raging, enraged, insane, senseless, blasphemous, opinionated”)

RandomComment

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 8:06 pm

I think we have a bit more info as to why Doctor Who closed at the end of its 5 year lease:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-43159603

Cardiff council paid £2 million to construct the building it was housed in; the aim was to make the money back by a share of ticket sales; but it looks like that share amounted to just £1 million-ish.

Now I don't think we can say that means ticket sales were half what was expected: the sharing arrangement mightn't have been a fixed proportion of sales, but instead an increasing proportion (non-linear). But it does suggest that ticket sales and visitor numbers likely came in significantly lower (and perhaps 50% lower) than was originally forecast.

So maybe it closed because it just wasn't making as much money as they thought it would. And they think they can get more money by an attraction back in London or somewhere else? Cardiff might be too far off the beaten track for international visitors and not centrally located enough for much of the UK. And I'll say there is still a large part of the English population thats quite snobby about Wales - Cardiff having a bit of a reputation as a bit drunken/rough.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum