It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:39 am

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Re: Cardiff airport

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 4:36 pm

You will be able to uphold high standards of integrity and probity. This will include the Company’s governance, decision-making and financial management assurances when considering, promoting and safeguarding regularity, propriety, affordability, sustainability, risk, and value for money across the public sector; and accounting accurately and transparently, for the company’s financial position and transactions. You must be able to ensure high standards of probity in the management of public funds.

This rules out most on the this forum!!

Ash

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Cardiff Airport unveils Qatar Airways flights

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39693531

Kyle

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 1:36 pm

For selfish reasons I was hoping for Emirates or Etihad, but this is still a big deal for anyone wanting to go to the middle east or Asia.

Cen

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:25 pm

Great news. This is exactly the type of flight Cardiff Airport should have been targeting decades ago. There's no way it can compete with Bristol on package holidays and short-haul now, they're simply too far ahead. We should take advantage of the runway - of which there are not many in the UK that can compete - and get these long-haul flights off the ground! (Pun intended)

There's a huge opportunity here to steal flights from Heathrow, which is bursting at the seams. Events like the Champions League Final will surely do more to realise this.

Peiriannydd

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 6:44 pm

This is fantastic news! I’ve said before that Cardiff should seek to act as a spill-over from Heathrow and if this route proves successful, I can see more airlines coming to Cardiff. It’ll be interesting to see how KLM respond, given their established presence.

There’s an interesting point raised in this article:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... t-12938235

“There are currently nearly a million passengers from the west of Britain, who have to travel to London airports each year to use Qatar Airways’ network of flights.”

That’s a lot of people going up to London! As someone who has done a lot of long-haul travel to the Middle East and Australia, I can say that there’s nothing worse than trying to get back from Heathrow after a 7 or 24-hour flight! It’s awful!

Connections to the Middle East, Singapore, India and Australia/New Zealand are exactly the sort of connections we need in the post-Brexit world. I know a lot of Cardiff-based engineers who will be thrilled by this news.

Cardiff

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 11:13 pm

Cardiff airport needs a major overhaul and expansion of services to make it an airport you want to travel from, its not just the connections, or is that just me? great news on flights though!

jonbvn

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 5:19 am

Peiriannydd wrote:This is fantastic news! I’ve said before that Cardiff should seek to act as a spill-over from Heathrow and if this route proves successful, I can see more airlines coming to Cardiff. It’ll be interesting to see how KLM respond, given their established presence.

There’s an interesting point raised in this article:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... t-12938235

“There are currently nearly a million passengers from the west of Britain, who have to travel to London airports each year to use Qatar Airways’ network of flights.”

That’s a lot of people going up to London! As someone who has done a lot of long-haul travel to the Middle East and Australia, I can say that there’s nothing worse than trying to get back from Heathrow after a 7 or 24-hour flight! It’s awful!

Connections to the Middle East, Singapore, India and Australia/New Zealand are exactly the sort of connections we need in the post-Brexit world. I know a lot of Cardiff-based engineers who will be thrilled by this news.

I'm one of those Cardiff based engineers currently working in the ME who is thrilled by this news. Hopefully will drive down KLM prices into CWL.

Only problem I can foresee is that people will travel from quite a distance to get this flight and the road connection from Culverhouse to the airport is beyond a joke.

murfilicious

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 8:07 am

jonbvn wrote:Only problem I can foresee is that people will travel from quite a distance to get this flight and the road connection from Culverhouse to the airport is beyond a joke.

Hopefully this will be an incentive to improve travel links...
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Kyle

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 8:53 am

I'd like to see it be a candidate now for a first start for the metro. Do the VoG line first and build a station right at the airport.

Cen

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 am

Kyle wrote:I'd like to see it be a candidate now for a first start for the metro. Do the VoG line first and build a station right at the airport.

This should be the absolute No.1 priority for the metro. It'll make a big statement for the ambitions of both Cardiff Airport and the metro itself. They should also be looking at the possibilities of a direct dual carriageway link from the M4 or A4232 to the airport. Does anybody know if this has ever been proposed?

They could even look at building a large park and ride tram service just off the M4 if building an actual road connection isn't feasible.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum