It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

Customhouse Hotel / York Hotel

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

paul cardiffwalesmap

Customhouse Hotel / York Hotel

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 9:58 am

New proposal of redevelopment of former york hotel and custom house, http://customhouseconsultation.co.uk/

it's for a 248 bed hotel and associated restaurant - but the pdf download isn't working so can't see what's actually proposed :cry:

now the radisson blu is 215 rooms - so we're looking at a bit of height here!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

RandomComment

Re: Customhouse Hotel / York Hotel

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 10:25 am

Its an odd one. They say the development involves "sensitive redevelopment of the Grade II Listed Custom House building", "retaining its façade". But unless they mean retaining the facade in a manner to the building at the bottom of Alto Lusso I just don't see how they can get a building big enough to fit 248 rooms on this site. I don't see such a proposal being approved - at least it shouldn't for a listed building!

Update:

Good morning David,

Thank you for your email.

We have had a technical error with our website this morning, which is being resolved. The documents will be downloadable from lunch time today.

In the meantime if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Andrea

Cen

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 12:21 pm

The documents aren't up yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing this. Being a hotel you'd expect it to be of good quality. One good thing to come out of having the champions league final in Cardiff is that it's been well publicised that we need more hotel rooms here! Let's hope more developers come forward with proposals.

Jantra

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 1:02 pm

docs are up

Simon_SW17

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 1:18 pm

My first reaction is that it's ugly and does not fit with a heritage facade in any way. I dislike the odd shaped windows and the black render. It looks really outdated all in all. There are much better buildings in the planning, makes the new Central Square HMRC building look classic in comparison.

RandomComment

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 2:09 pm

URGH URGH URGH! It is flawed on so many levels:

- It does not respect the Grade II listed Customhouse building as it involves little more than a partial facade retention (and demolition of around one-third of the frontage).

- The groundfloor extension/new build fronting Customhouse Street is cheap-looking and ugly (with the terrible Yellow entrance surround).

- The shape, materials and colouring of the tower are inappropriate and domineering.

- It actively spoils views from Callaghan Square and Customhouse Street (the clash of the black and white panelling)

- The window design is inappropriate for an extension to a listed building.

- The design precedents are not relevant given they do not refer to adaptations and extensions of heritage buildings.

- The design itself does not relate to the design precedents, which irrespective of their relevance, are are significantly higher quality in terms of facade design.

It looks like something that has been value-engineered beyond relief and if I were the architect (Holder Mathias) I would be ashamed!

Cen

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 3:33 pm

For god's sake. Are they even trying? I've seen more appealing prisons. Who would want to stay in that?

This is inexcusable given the quality of the Clayton hotel literally 20 yards away.

Mr Blue Sky

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Once you go black, the city will never go back

Kyle

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 6:49 pm

As much as I want to see the site being used, and it's nice to see a new hotel proposed, it's really not very good at all is it?

Why not stick to the office scheme that was proposed? There's clearly a decent market for new offices at the moment.

Isn't this the third proposed use now after offices and student residential?

RandomComment

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 7:06 pm

Kyle wrote:As much as I want to see the site being used, and it's nice to see a new hotel proposed, it's really not very good at all is it?

Why not stick to the office scheme that was proposed? There's clearly a decent market for new offices at the moment.

Isn't this the third proposed use now after offices and student residential?

I think they had a specific occupier in mind for the offices - Blake Morgan (or at that time Morgan Cole). When they went to Central Square I think the owners started looking at other uses.

The Student Resi use wasn't too bad actually - it respected the Custom House much more, and the extension looked more tasteful than this one.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum