It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

2017 Champions League Final

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Re: 2017 Champions League Final

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Some bars on Friday evening were so very, very quiet.

Gatekeeper on Westgate Street at 10pm
Didn't help that Wetherspoons had added 50% to their prices.
On the plus side they had to send half their staff home!

John Lewis Saturday Lunchtime, lucky to have sold anything!

On the plus side the Cardiff streets and the Bay were heaving by 11am

Mathew5

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 6:42 pm

Thankfully Italian and Spanish fans don't need to get pissed to have fun. They also tend to start going out betweern 12am and 1am whereas it's almost taxi and kebab time for us by then.

Cen

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 6:47 pm

Gonna be honest. I'm very drunk, but I'm loving it so far. What a great spectacle for our city.

Zach

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 8:50 am

Very sadly for Cardiff the Champions League final will get almost no worldwide post match coverage, with it being over shadowed by events in London.
Even in Turin, they will be reporting the many hundreds injured rather than the actual match.
A sad world we now live in, with events dictated by the few.
You can see why the security and crowd control had to be so tight in Cardiff.

Zach

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 5:29 pm

Interesting there was a few pieces on Radio Wales where local businesses said that their footfall and takings were down on a normal weekend let alone a 6 nations weekend. Seems most of the fans arrived very late in the week, stayed in the streets and then went home on the first flight.
Cardiff County Council spokesman now says that they never claimed this would be good for businesses!! Instead this is for the greater good and the long term success of the city. :shock:
A good party weekend for Cardiff none the less!

Cen

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 5:51 pm

I think the main factor in a decrease in footfall is purely because the fans aren't interested in small independent shops, and any locals who weren't interested in the event stayed well away. I think most businesses would have seen an increase in business, but people from Madrid and Turin aren't going to even know where these little independents are or what they sell.

I wouldn't worry though. The coverage this has given the city will make up for small businesses losing money on one day of the year for many years to come.

Frank

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 8:05 pm

These things are always a bit dodgy. Personally I went into town and made a significant purchase on Sunday. Now had the CL not been on Saturday maybe I would have done it then instead?

Simon__200

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:23 am

Cen wrote:I think the main factor in a decrease in footfall is purely because the fans aren't interested in small independent shops, and any locals who weren't interested in the event stayed well away. I think most businesses would have seen an increase in business, but people from Madrid and Turin aren't going to even know where these little independents are or what they sell.

I wouldn't worry though. The coverage this has given the city will make up for small businesses losing money on one day of the year for many years to come.

I don't think it was just the small independents that lost business. For example, John Lews closed early it was so quiet.

lucky

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 11:38 am

It wasn't only town either; I know of two places in the Bay, one small and one large, that tell me they only took about 10% of their normal Saturday business. It seems a pretty consistent picture.

Victor Clam

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 11:43 pm

My wife is the store manager at a jewellers in the centre - they took £0.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum