It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

Hyperloop One - Cardiff - Glasgow (50min)

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

cjenkinswales

Hyperloop One - Cardiff - Glasgow (50min)

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Hyperloop has shortlisted 35 routes internationally for their own Hyperloops
Nine lines across Europe including three in the UK are under consideration
Executives from the firm announced the semi-finalists on a visit to Amsterdam
Plans for 11 routes across the US were revealed earlier this year

In the UK, three routes have been picked, that could see lines built from London to Edinburgh,
Glasgow to Cardiff (50min) and a third route connecting cities in the North to Scotland.

In the UK, three routes have been picked, that could see the following lines built:

- A North to South route, connecting London to Edinburgh via Manchester and Birmingham. The total journey time would be 50 minutes.

- A 'Northern Arc' from Liverpool to Glasgow, via Manchester, Newcastle Leeds and Edinburgh. The total journey time would be 47 minutes.

- A Scotland to Wales route, running from Cardiff to Glasgow. The total journey time would be 50 minutes.

It seems likely that these three routes will interconnect, to allow passengers to transfer between lines.

NorthCityBoy

Re: Hyperloop One - Cardiff - Glasgow (50min)

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 4:50 pm

It would be fantastic to be able to travel to Glasgow in less than an hour, but this has got a touch of the Lyle Lanleys about it.

Zach

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 5:40 pm

I reckon the WAG will invest in it, we could have a hyperloop connecting North and South Wales which goes via the new motor racing circuit in Ebbw Vale.

Here are a list of other pie-in-the-sky cities which will be connected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperloop

Cen

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Although I'd love it to happen, the whole Hyperloop project is really a massive gamble at this point. There are so many issues with it that I can't see it ever truly coming to fruition. And then there's the human factor of "Who wants to be shot through a tube at 800mph?". I wouldn't want to be on the team that has to clean that mess up if it goes wrong! It's hard enough to get some people into an aircraft.

The whole project is basically a proof of concept rather than a genuinely feasible idea. Something that a lot of Elon Musk's ventures turn out to be. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

moyceyyy

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 6:27 pm

Um.

This sounds expensive..

Not to mention that such an expensive project from Glasgow to Cardiff probably wont be very viable in terms of money return. London to the Rhine-Ruhr area would be better.

murfilicious

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 12:37 pm

Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Jantra

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Cen wrote:Although I'd love it to happen, the whole Hyperloop project is really a massive gamble at this point. There are so many issues with it that I can't see it ever truly coming to fruition. And then there's the human factor of "Who wants to be shot through a tube at 800mph?". I wouldn't want to be on the team that has to clean that mess up if it goes wrong! It's hard enough to get some people into an aircraft.

The whole project is basically a proof of concept rather than a genuinely feasible idea. Something that a lot of Elon Musk's ventures turn out to be. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

you mean like being shot through the sky in a pressurised metal tube at 600mph?

Cen

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 4:47 pm

Jantra wrote:you mean like being shot through the sky in a pressurised metal tube at 600mph?

Most people are scared of planes to some extent. They just tolerate them, and you can't actually feel how fast you're going. 800mph over land in a vacuum would be absolutely terrifying for most people. If people are scared of roller coasters then they won't go anywhere near the Hyperloop. The claustrophobia alone would be enough to put people off, let alone the speed.

Jantra

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Cen wrote:
Jantra wrote:you mean like being shot through the sky in a pressurised metal tube at 600mph?

Most people are scared of planes to some extent. They just tolerate them, and you can't actually feel how fast you're going. 800mph over land in a vacuum would be absolutely terrifying for most people. If people are scared of roller coasters then they won't go anywhere near the Hyperloop. The claustrophobia alone would be enough to put people off, let alone the speed.

Why would travelling in a vacuum be terrifying?

Zach

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 1:55 pm

Why would travelling in a vacuum be terrifying?

1. Most are too small
2. Too much dust
3. Sinister face on the front.

Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum