It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

Cardiff LDP Progress

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Re: Cardiff LDP Progress

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 1:58 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39379217

Big rise in population predicted for Cardiff,
Are the Student areas going to be returned to families? or where is the extra 50,000 homes going to be.

Jennifer

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Zach wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39379217

Are the Student areas going to be returned to families? or where is the extra 50,000 homes going to be.

This data is skewed towards simplicity as much as " wale s online is biased". Doesn't consider that Cardiff's population gain will be at the expense of its surrounding areas.

When you take into the account the whole Cardiff capital region the gains dont look all that spectacular. And yes many students ghettos are to be brought back into family use as the new student accommodation being put up are being pushed by councils. This is being made more apparent as they are restricting HMO licences in certain ares with a view of forcing students into these swanky new blocks at ever inflating prices.

When they are done with student accommodation they will move into the general private rental sector , where big business and their endless supply of cheap money will build to rent on a commercial scale.

RandomComment

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Fairly hefty increase in household numbers in RCT there as well (the next biggest LA in the city region), and Newport (technically in the region).

We can debate the pros and cons of councils (and govt more generally) interfering in home-owners abilities to do as they will with their property: HMOs, occupation density, extensions, etc. You'll get quite different views being expressed on here. In this instance, people complained for years that the council did not do enough about the profilferation of student digs in Cathays and Roath. Now there are complaints about them restricting HMO licenses and the 'competition' from the purpose-built units from landlords and agents. So its a case of damned either way.

As far as I can see, the market is still working well at the moment. These blocks are going up, and presumably attracting enough students to pay their way (given continuing activity in the sector). At the same time, many students are still continuing to live in Cathays, Roath, etc. If landlords have to remain competitive on rents given this competition, and need to cram less students in or turn to other occupier-types due to limits on HMOs. Well, its perhaps not a bad outcome given the competing arguments and interests involved.

It would actually be great if big business got into the private rental sector on a commercial scale - provided, of course, that they aren't allowed to develop monopoly situations in any local market. Why? Economies of scale, service standards, etc. Also, a private rental sector which it is possible to buy "shares" in, would provide a great way for people to save up for a deposit for their own home. If the return on your savings/investments is able to keep pace with housing (rising or falling along with it), then it makes it easier and less risky to save for a deposit. I definitely wish I could have invested in a broad-based private rental company, weighted to London!

jonbvn

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 10:14 am

According to that BBC article a lot of the additional households will be single person. So these 50k homes will not all be 3-bed semis. However, it seems that the Welsh Gov't is far too biased in favour of the development of Cardiff, to the detriment of other areas in Wales. Note that I am CF born and bred ;)

Jantra

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 10:51 am

jonbvn wrote:

According to that BBC article a lot of the additional households will be single person. So these 50k homes will not all be 3-bed semis. However, it seems that the Welsh Gov't is far too biased in favour of the development of Cardiff, to the detriment of other areas in Wales. Note that I am CF born and bred ;)

you say that as if it's a problem. it's as it should be

:twisted:

jonbvn

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Jantra wrote:
jonbvn wrote:

you say that as if it's a problem. it's as it should be

:twisted:

Well, I guess it will make my family wealthier in the long term. However, is that for the greater good?

moyceyyy

PostSat Jun 17, 2017 3:38 pm

Any more updates on any of the sites from you Cardiff dwellers? I'm itching to see that Plasdwr development once it has started.

murfilicious

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 11:24 am

Plasdwr has started, sort of... Phase 1 near Radyr has anyway, I'll see if I can get some pictures this afternoon - it's​ only 200m from my house so should be able to post regular updates from it.
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Kyle

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 7:24 pm

Last time I drove nearby there was only a sign up at the Radyr site, I couldn't see any work going on. But that was a few weeks ago.

The St. Edeyrn development seems to progressing well, at least it seems that way from the A48 driving into the city.

Anything going on elsewhere?

Dr O

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:26 pm

Signs are up for developments at J33 (The Parish?), some new traffic lights on the roundabout seem to be the only actual work happening so far.

I passed the paper mill a couple of weeks back and what's presumably the show home & sales centre were nearing external completion, plus a handful of other homes starting to rise. At the other end the roadworks by Ely Bridge were should be done by now, anyone been past?

There's been plenty happening between Clive Street and Ikea but still only earthworks visible wihout being on a train
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum