It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

NIMBYs in the Valleys?

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mathew5

Re: NIMBYs in the Valleys?

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Some valleys towns are very decent... Ffynnon Taf, Gwaelod y Garth, Efail Isaf, Llanilltud Faerdre, Machen, Blackwood, Nelson...

The problem with Cardiff is that there's nowhere decent to live for first time buyers. I know so many young couples trapped in their antiseptic flats in the bay desperately trying to find somewhere. The north of Cardiff is too expensive, the west is uninhabitable apart from Pontcanna and Victoria Park, the east is rough as, so many end up either leaving for adjacent towns (even Barry) or buying somewhere in Splott or Grangetown and pretending it's a nice place to live.

I've always thought most valleys towns need to be shrunk/drowned for reservoirs and made more sustainable. I also find it funny how close Caerffili is to Cardiff yet it's a totally separate town and another world.

daearegwr

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Mathew5 wrote:Some valleys towns are very decent... Ffynnon Taf, Gwaelod y Garth, Efail Isaf, Llanilltud Faerdre, Machen, Blackwood, Nelson...

The problem with Cardiff is that there's nowhere decent to live for first time buyers. I know so many young couples trapped in their antiseptic flats in the bay desperately trying to find somewhere. The north of Cardiff is too expensive, the west is uninhabitable apart from Pontcanna and Victoria Park, the east is rough as, so many end up either leaving for adjacent towns (even Barry) or buying somewhere in Splott or Grangetown and pretending it's a nice place to live.

I've always thought most valleys towns need to be shrunk/drowned for reservoirs and made more sustainable. I also find it funny how close Caerffili is to Cardiff yet it's a totally separate town and another world.

I'm sure the residents of Roath and Penylan will be pleased to have been described as rough :lol:

Mathew5

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 3:40 pm

A lot of Roath is actually rough. Connaught Road, the Newport Road side, even the big houses leading up to Roath Park. Dim diolch. Penylan actually has a lot of social problems due to all the new builds having to be 25% social housing.

Jantra

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Mathew5 wrote:Some valleys towns are very decent... Ffynnon Taf, Gwaelod y Garth, Efail Isaf, Llanilltud Faerdre, Machen, Blackwood, Nelson...

:twisted:

Mathew5

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 4:24 pm

It's true though. Look at Ely, Fairwater, most of Danescourt. Which is a crying shame because so many houses in Ely are large and beautiful but populated by troglodytes.

Mathew5

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 4:28 pm

And despite Canton's best attempts to rebrand itself, it's a dump.

jonbvn

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Having been dragged up in Fairwater, I strongly object to you writing-off a large part of the city based on purely subjective grounds. Of course there are issues in some areas, but it is hardly grounds for claiming that the areas are unlivable.

Kyle

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 5:44 pm

jonbvn wrote:Having been dragged up in Fairwater, I strongly object to you writing-off a large part of the city based on purely subjective grounds. Of course there are issues in some areas, but it is hardly grounds for claiming that the areas are unlivable.

He's done the same with most valleys towns and villages, but yet claims Machen is decent....there's fuck all there other than a good view, generally average housing and substandard takeaways. Even the football pitch is shit because it floods all the time. There's so much going on there you need to drive to another world to Caerphilly :D

Zach

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 5:47 pm

People are moving out of the valleys to find better employment and quality of life/environment. Where are they going?

... Cardiff.

Might be 1,100 fewer in a few weeks time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-40357254

lucky

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 6:02 pm

I'm not sure what you think is wrong with Grangetown - it's walk to city or bay and lots of local shops plus a lovely little park and a river. If I had a limited budget and was looking to establish a home, that's where I'd go.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum