It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mr Blue Sky

Re: Cardiff airport

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 8:08 pm

moyceyyy wrote:
Jantra wrote:Leckwith?

Yes, the Leckwith junction on the A4232.

And while it would be good to have the link road going straight from the M4 Kyle, it would defeat the object of having the road serve Cardiff. The city would still be without a good road to its airport. People on the M4 could just use the A4232 to get to the link road, not too much of a compromise.

So are you proposing a new dual carriageway from the Leckwith junction of the A4232 to the airport? This would have to be constructed over Leckwith hill and bypass Leckwith itself, Llandough, Penarth, Dinas Powys, Sully and Barry. It would cost at least £1 billion, and given the topography, probably a lot more.

A new road from Culverhouse Cross/Wenvoe would make a lot more sense.

Zach

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 8:34 pm

The real answer in to build a road from j34 south to join up with the shortly to be widened and upgraded "5 mile lane"
J33 and J34 never made sense to me as most vehicles use this stretch of the motorway to complete any north south journey on the 4119/4232 or vice versa.
QATAR is good news but one flight a day as is case in EDI will limit ease of hub connections and won't worry KLM too much.
I did a EDI to SYD and there was a layover of 22hours in each direction. :o

Jonathan

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:02 am

I'm not sure that connections will be difficult - I consider anything up to 4 or 5 hours as an acceptable lay-over time. You can fit a lot of flights in a 4-5 window and I dare say that those hours following the Doha arrival will be extremely popular with new and existing airlines alike.

On a related note, surely the arrival of Qatar Airlines makes the likelihood of 'landing' a North American scheduled flight far greater than ever before. This could snowball and Cardiff Airport could quickly find itself as a hub catering for some of the spillover from Heathrow.

moyceyyy

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:06 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
moyceyyy wrote:
Jantra wrote:Leckwith?

Yes, the Leckwith junction on the A4232.

And while it would be good to have the link road going straight from the M4 Kyle, it would defeat the object of having the road serve Cardiff. The city would still be without a good road to its airport. People on the M4 could just use the A4232 to get to the link road, not too much of a compromise.

So are you proposing a new dual carriageway from the Leckwith junction of the A4232 to the airport? This would have to be constructed over Leckwith hill and bypass Leckwith itself, Llandough, Penarth, Dinas Powys, Sully and Barry. It would cost at least £1 billion, and given the topography, probably a lot more.

A new road from Culverhouse Cross/Wenvoe would make a lot more sense.

Again, it is merely a fantasy idea that will never happen.

Simon_SW17

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 7:18 pm

I think this should definitely happen if the airport is to expand significantly, the current arrangement via Wenvoe and Barry is very poor.

The Vale rail line should have a spur into the terminal as well and far more frequent services, the current 1 train per hour is a joke, who's going to wait up to 59 minutes for a train?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/100m-m4-cardiff-airport-link-13316762

Jantra

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 7:24 pm

One mile of road in Cardiff has just cost £50m plus. What are they hoping to achieve with twice that?

Simon_SW17

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 7:28 pm

Jantra wrote:One mile of road in Cardiff has just cost £50m plus. What are they hoping to achieve with twice that?

A lot of that cost was due to the elevated sections I believe, it does sound cheap at £100m though. How long would the road be?

moyceyyy

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 11:34 pm

Jantra wrote:One mile of road in Cardiff has just cost £50m plus. What are they hoping to achieve with twice that?

That £50m road was completely elevated on a viaduct with a cycle lane on the edge of the CBD where land prices are very high.

I expect this airport link will be alternating 1+2 lane single carriageway from the M4. Still the wrong choice regardless. There should be a dual carriagway link from Culverhouse Cross. Less distance and goes past (and to) more urban areas, so more use out of the road.

Jantra

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 9:24 am

moyceyyy wrote:

That £50m road was completely elevated on a viaduct with a cycle lane on the edge of the CBD where land prices are very high.

I expect this airport link will be alternating 1+2 lane single carriageway from the M4. Still the wrong choice regardless. There should be a dual carriagway link from Culverhouse Cross. Less distance and goes past (and to) more urban areas, so more use out of the road.

:lol:

it runs through the docks, which is made up of a mix of light and heavy industry. the CBD is over a mile away

moyceyyy

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 11:27 pm

Jantra wrote:
moyceyyy wrote:

:lol:

it runs through the docks, which is made up of a mix of light and heavy industry. the CBD is over a mile away

Fuck me mate, you cant win on this forum can you?

It was only a month ago when I was being grilled about saying that Cardiff Bay isnt a part of the CBD.

Then I assume that I am wrong and the Bay IS a part of the CBD. (therefore the Eastern Bay Link is on the edge)

Then I get grilled again.

??? profit

:roll:
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum