It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

Tall Buildings

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

Re: Tall Buildings

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Cen wrote:It's just bizarre to me how it seems to be just England in which this has occurred. Are our planning laws that different? It doesn't surprise me that England's laws would largely benefit the landlord though...

It might just reflect numbers of towers in England with cladding relative to Wales. Some authorities in England seem to be reacting in something of a knee-jerk way. Promises to remove all cladding, irrespective of its safety status. That could prove incredibly costly and a poor use of public money (probably better spent on sprinklers, say).

Peiriannydd

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 7:45 pm

Cen wrote:It's just bizarre to me how it seems to be just England in which this has occurred. Are our planning laws that different? It doesn't surprise me that England's laws would largely benefit the landlord though...

Yes, planning laws and building regulations are different in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Peiriannydd

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 2:17 pm

redragon

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 11:40 am

Hi all,

As part of a course I'm doing (and part time as a mature student I should add!) I'm thinking about covering tall building development in Cardiff as part of a wider reseach project.

I would be interested to know if anyone on here has any comment about the best views of Cardiff at present, in and out of the city (so, for example, Caerphilly Mountain towards the city and Bay, from the barrage towards the city and hills and from Penarth towards the Bay, City and hills).

There are certain aspects of the city such as the backdrop of the mountains, glimpses of the Bay and of historic landmarks that are considered important by some and should not be harmed by any form of development (i.e. a building blocking that view).

So, if you have any idea about any of these places - what vies (however small) you consider to be important, whether its from within Bute Park or at Ninian Park railway station nd whether its of the hills or of the stadium, i'd be grateful if you could share!

Thanks for your help

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 4:40 am

Hi redragon - great subject! My two favourite places are...I think its pembroke terrace up by st augustines church in penarth, and the other is the top of the hill (the giant chain links) opposite cardiff bay retail park. Check both of these out - you wont be dissapointed! All the best for your course
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Lyndon

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 9:02 am

The view from the Ty Mawr pub in Lisvane, across the city and the Bristol Channel is pretty hard to beat.

Jantra

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 9:35 am

Echo what Paul say, St Augustine's Church is a great view, although i prefer this from Paget Terrace

johnsy

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Jantra wrote:Echo what Paul say, St Augustine's Church is a great view, although i prefer this from Paget Terrace

That reminds me I should take an updated version of this http://gigapan.com/gigapans/126638

*see if you can find Wally

RandomComment

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Its not a wide panoramic view like the others, but I like the view you get as you come down the bottom end of Cyncoed Road, over the A48 and then on to Pen-Y-Lan Road. You get to see different sections of the city centre as you curve around. I remember cycling up that way probably 11 years ago (when I had a summer between school and uni, and used to go on long bike rides exploring Cardiff and its environs from Marshfield, where we were living at the time) and really regretting I was cycling in the opposite direction so didn't get to enjoy the view (and the nice downward slope!).

redragon

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks all - some great suggestions! The pen y lan road is a hidden gem revealing capital tower, then stadium house and the city hall clock tower.

I had wondered where the giant chain link place was after seeing Jason Mohammed on it in that Cardiff growth documentary!

Johnsy, where/how was that taken and when - that's a really great shot!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum