It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Re: General Developments

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 10:22 am

I can't see how it could have an impact on his development at all unless he wanted to actually use that land. This is probably the most high rise part of Cardiff. The Mercure is literally a few feet away. You can't just stop these developments happening for reasons of height. There has to be some valid reason why it would hurt his business - and I can't see one.

Philnpt

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Cen wrote:I can't see how it could have an impact on his development at all unless he wanted to actually use that land. This is probably the most high rise part of Cardiff. The Mercure is literally a few feet away. You can't just stop these developments happening for reasons of height. There has to be some valid reason why it would hurt his business - and I can't see one.

its because it's so close to his building, if he was to build a hotel on that site then the rooms will be overlooked by the students.
The simple solution that he put forward was to fit obscured glass to the south facing windows on the fitzalan development.

Zach

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 4:30 pm

Cardiff 'ideal home' for Channel 4, Welsh Government says

:lol:
The Assembly would have them doing Welsh "on air" Announcements after a few years and all new staff would have to know how to say "I am stuck in a traffic jam" in Welsh!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-40606339

I would bet my house on this never ever happening.
Sometimes I wish the WAG would concentrate on things that are devolved.

Mathew5

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 5:11 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL Zach!!!11!1

You're totes hilair hun lol xxxxx

Peiriannydd

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Zach wrote:

The Assembly would have them doing Welsh "on air" Announcements after a few years and all new staff would have to know how to say "I am stuck in a traffic jam" in Welsh!

Sometimes I wish people would concentrate on something other than slagging off the Welsh Government and anything associated with the Welsh language at every opportunity! Yes, every government should be held to account and criticised where criticism is warranted, but these endless digs at devolution and the language are getting very tiresome.

I would really love to know what alternative vision some people actually have for Wales. Is it one where everyone must speak English and has to be grateful for any crumbs that Westminster send our way? That model has really done us well over the last 700 years!

Yes, the Welsh Goverment should rightly be focusing on things that are devolved. But they should also be promoting Wales at a UK and international level. They should be pointing out that Wales should be recieving its fair share of taxes from the revenue. They should be calling for more programmes that are focused on Wales and they should be out there trying to encourage a major TV channel to relocate to Wales if relocations is on the cards.

Then again, perhaps our AM's should just sit are their arses and wait for the UK Government to give it Birmingham, Liverpool or Manchester? After all, it's not as if Wales needs the jobs, investment and spin-off opportunities.

Mathew5

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 5:24 pm

I concur. It's boring. I've learnt there's just no point trying to argue with these kinds of people if they're not bright enough to understand the difference between devolution / assembly / government. Thankfully, they're just a tiny, noisy minority who spend their days on BTL comment sections.

RandomComment

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Talk is cheap, so it probably makes sense for the Welsh Government and Cardiff Council to put their name forward and do a little bit of lobbying via the media. Especially if what its really aimed at is putting pressure on them to up their spend on commissioning from Wales and making shows that feature Wales.

However, I don't see there being a hope in hell of C4 coming to Wales. If it is to leave London, Manchester, Brum and even perhaps Liverpool would make more natural choices: they are all more reflective of Britain as a whole. So our politicians shouldn't go to the expense of putting together business cases, formal bids, etc.

Peiriannydd

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 pm

I too doubt that C4 will come to Wales and there probably are better locations that would suit the country as a whole. I suspect that you are right in that this lobbying has as much to do with seeing increased spending on Welsh shows than it is a serious attempt to get the channel moved to Cardiff. If nothing else, it's sending out a message that highlights what we are already doing here and saying to people "we are open for business and investment".

In my line of work, you're doing something right if you win roughly 1 in 4 bids that you submit. The ratio of wins/loses may vary but other businesses and government allocations are not different in that you cannot expect to win everything that you put your hand up for. But that doesn't mean we should sit back and do nothing other that make snide remarks about those who want to attract something of that nature to Cardiff. That's an attitude of a loser who won't win anything.

Given the media centre in the Salford area, I would expect that Manchester is the front runner. There is also serious amount of investment pouring into Manchester on top of other established businesses. They're spending about £1billion on their airport and will also be linked up with HS2 when finished. There also looking at improving connectivity across the North.

Amoore

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Zach wrote:

It makes no sense at all. Wales isn't even in Channel 4's remit.

Zach

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 5:35 pm

these kinds of people if they're not bright enough to understand the difference between devolution / assembly / government.

You remind me of the attitude that people in Ireland had 20-30 years ago they were so proud of their country, they took exception to every bit of criticism, no matter how tongue in cheek. :) Then they all grew up.

PS Wales is in Channels Four's remit, since the end of analogue TV in 2008/9
Carried on all TV transmitter in Wales on PSB2 and PSB3 in HD
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum