It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

Cardiff Parkway Business Park - and new St Mellons Station

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Peiriannydd

Re: Cardiff Parkway Business Park - and new St Mellons Stati

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Probably the most overlooked aspect in rail announcements today, but it's good that this scheme is going forward:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... h-13357203

My only concerns are:
1) Why are we talking about building a 1 millions sq ft of office space at a business park when we can even finish off Callaghan Square?
2) Thoese 15 minutes saved on journey times between Cardiff and London will go if this station becomes operational. By the time trains have to slow down, stop, let people off, let people on, then get up to speed, those 15 minutes will soon go!

elgdav

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Possibly not all trains will stop there, maybe 1 in 2 of the Paddington trains and 1 in 2 of the Manchester ones or similar

penarth bloke

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 12:49 pm

I suspect that Paddington trains won't stop there, but local and regional trains will.

Frank

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 4:35 pm

I make it 8 trains an hour to Newport from Cardiff Central. That doesn't include Ebbw Vale? So that would be 9 peak time trains per hour going through St Mellons.

2xPaddington
1xNottingham
1xManchester
1xPortsmouth
1xEbbw Vale

The others? Cheltenham? Taunton?

Cen

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 6:12 pm

That part of the city is usually reserved for technology and engineering companies, which rarely set up in city centres for various reasons - so I would say this is a separate issue to Callaghan Square. I recently took a job in the St Mellons business park. It's overcrowding and could do with some new buildings. Some companies are looking at moving to Newport. I'm sure they'd rather stay in Cardiff if they had the space, which hopefully this development should bring - along with a great new train station.

Simon_SW17

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Frank wrote:I make it 8 trains an hour to Newport from Cardiff Central. That doesn't include Ebbw Vale? So that would be 9 peak time trains per hour going through St Mellons.

2xPaddington
1xNottingham
1xManchester
1xPortsmouth
1xEbbw Vale

The others? Cheltenham? Taunton?

It's unlikely that GWR trains will stop until it's proven that Cardiff Parkway is busy enough, especially as it involves a stop that slows down the journey.

Peiriannydd

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 11:32 pm

Some interesting points here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-40669006

*Fast links to Cardiff Central station, with trains able to arrive within six or seven minutes
*The potential for a direct link to Cardiff Airport in about 25 minutes
*Parking for 4,000 cars, costing £5 a day
*Trains will be able to stop from Birmingham and Portsmouth Harbour and be 50 minutes from Bristol, while there could be a train every half hour from Ebbw Vale
*There is hope of fast trains to London also stopping there in the future
*It has already been planned into the South Wales Metro map, with a stop also planned for Newport Road on the way into the city centre

Frank

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 12:13 am

I can't see a railway station being added on Newport Road. That's not very far from town. I just hope a railway station would be well connected to the residential part of St Mellons from where it can take 40 minutes to get a bus into town. A stop by Mardy Road would be interesting though.

Peiriannydd

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 12:32 am

Frank wrote:I can't see a railway station being added on Newport Road. That's not very far from town.

The only place where Newport Road comes close enough to the main line is by TGI's, where Rover Way crosses the line. That's right by the retail park, so it would make sense to have one there, providing it doesn't slow down the London trains.

I'd personally like to see a tramline going up much of Newport Road as well.

Shminky Binky

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Unless they upgrade the St Mellons junction of the A48M to be usable in both directions then this station will be a flop.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum