It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

South Wales Mainline Electrification

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Re: South Wales Mainline Electrification

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 5:03 pm

one link in the chain will not be electrified, they have to operate hybrid trains.

Not exactly true, you also need some diversion routes electrified as well. With the Bath/Bristol section gone it meant it was much easier decision to go for the hybrids and ditch the Cardiff-Swansea section.
Otherwise you would need a diesel loco on constant standby.

sebcity

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Simon__200 wrote:
Zach wrote:Alun Cairns hit the nail on the head this morning when he said Electrification to Swansea would not knock one minute off the journey time.
A complete waste of money unless the line signalling is also up-graded. The Diesel/Electric bi-mode class 800 trains have a top speed of 100 mph when using just the diesel system, speeds that people in Wales can only dream about on their railways.

Surely the problem is that now, because one link in the chain will not be electrified, they have to operate hybrid trains. This means that even on the electrified sections the trains are going to be heavier, slower and more costly to operate. The entire project is a botched job because of stupid penny pinching decisions. Even if they decide to complete the electrification in the future, it'll be too late as they'll have already ordered the trains. It's a farce.

I agree, instead of making public transport viable, yet again they're managing to achieve just the opposite. It's still quicker for me to drive door to door London to Wales than it is via the train, that and the added congestion that removing the bridge fare will bring (not that I might complaining about not paying £6.70 each time) will only make things much worse, before (IF, IF) they ever get better. At this rate it doesn't seem likely.

solaris

Simon__200

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 1:13 pm

Zach wrote:
one link in the chain will not be electrified, they have to operate hybrid trains.

Not exactly true, you also need some diversion routes electrified as well. With the Bath/Bristol section gone it meant it was much easier decision to go for the hybrids and ditch the Cardiff-Swansea section.
Otherwise you would need a diesel loco on constant standby.

Not sure that's quite right. The South Wales mainline doesn't include the Bristol TM to Bath Spa section, and on first glance, it doesn't look much use as a diversionary route either if it only went as far as Bath Spa.

Edit to add - Apparently the section between Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway has also been shelved. This project is a mess.

solaris

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 1:34 pm

As it currently stands electrification (continuous) will run from Paddington - Reading - Swindon - Bristol Parkway - Newport - Cardiff. Cardiff-Swansea gone and the route via Bath and from Bristol Parkway into Bristol Temple Mead already "de-scoped"

daearegwr

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 10:24 am

I understand they are having massive problems with the electrification of the severn tunnel so I suspect long term the trains will run on diesel from Bristol Parkway onwards

sebcity

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 10:47 am

daearegwr wrote:I understand they are having massive problems with the electrification of the severn tunnel so I suspect long term the trains will run on diesel from Bristol Parkway onwards

Where have you heard this?

Simon_SW17

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 am

daearegwr wrote:I understand they are having massive problems with the electrification of the severn tunnel so I suspect long term the trains will run on diesel from Bristol Parkway onwards

The tunnel electrification was completed successfully last year when they had the blockade and closed it for a few weeks.

Simon__200

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 11:22 am

What's the August disruption in the Severn Tunnel then? It's being described as electrification in the news.

daearegwr

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:

The tunnel electrification was completed successfully last year when they had the blockade and closed it for a few weeks.

They managed to install the equipment when they closed the tunnel (just about) but whether it will operate smoothly when the time comes given the wetness of the tunnel is another matter.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum