It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Bishop84

Re: Central Square

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 7:54 pm

Depending on their requirements could they move into the Government Hub aka the HMRC Building? IIRC they said there would be space for other government departments in that building. One of which will be the Welsh Office moving up from the Bay.

Cardiff

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 10:27 am

Looking at your recent pics the new square in front of HMRC is a bit underwhelming, very bland and not much going on. What happened to the exciting open spaces that were planned. It would be nice to see more high level fixed planters with evergreen plants or even grassy areas to bring some life to both central square and HMRC square.

Ash

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 5:23 pm

The HMRC square is where the Betty Campbell statue is going. If rumours are to be believed, it's very large and will stand in the middle of a sculpted relief map of the old Tiger Bay.

Glenn

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 11:06 pm

Cardiff wrote:Looking at your recent pics the new square in front of HMRC is a bit underwhelming, very bland and not much going on. What happened to the exciting open spaces that were planned. It would be nice to see more high level fixed planters with evergreen plants or even grassy areas to bring some life to both central square and HMRC square.

That's my biggest criticism of the whole development. Just the sheer lack of greenery. Central Square always looks so cold and grey and windswept and lifeless. Only greenery is the few spindly trees outside the BBC. I believe someone said the reason was because of fears of damage from match day crowds and to have an open space for barriers and crowd management etc. but surely other much bigger cities have found solutions to this issue? Semi-mature trees that can withstand crowds, hardy box hedges, movable planters etc.

A few more trees by M&S Food and along that wall where those mosaics are would have been okay surely? The Hayes is always busy with shoppers and tourists and used by drunks at night, yet they've never had any issues with their trees/planters. Some of those big curved pots with some trees in perhaps. The More London development is on the South Bank right next to Tower Bridge and City Hall, heavily used by tourists and hundreds of office workers yet they've got plenty of greenery. I'm not a huge fan of living walls, but perhaps planting on the giant concrete corners of the BBC building would give some interest to those empty walls/absorb pollution/give some greenery/cool the building/give the BBC and Cardiff some environmental cred points and something to boast about.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 12:33 am

Glenn wrote:
Cardiff wrote:Looking at your recent pics the new square in front of HMRC is a bit underwhelming, very bland and not much going on. What happened to the exciting open spaces that were planned. It would be nice to see more high level fixed planters with evergreen plants or even grassy areas to bring some life to both central square and HMRC square.

That's my biggest criticism of the whole development. Just the sheer lack of greenery. Central Square always looks so cold and grey and windswept and lifeless. Only greenery is the few spindly trees outside the BBC. I believe someone said the reason was because of fears of damage from match day crowds and to have an open space for barriers and crowd management etc. but surely other much bigger cities have found solutions to this issue? Semi-mature trees that can withstand crowds, hardy box hedges, movable planters etc.

A few more trees by M&S Food and along that wall where those mosaics are would have been okay surely? The Hayes is always busy with shoppers and tourists and used by drunks at night, yet they've never had any issues with their trees/planters. Some of those big curved pots with some trees in perhaps. The More London development is on the South Bank right next to Tower Bridge and City Hall, heavily used by tourists and hundreds of office workers yet they've got plenty of greenery. I'm not a huge fan of living walls, but perhaps planting on the giant concrete corners of the BBC building would give some interest to those empty walls/absorb pollution/give some greenery/cool the building/give the BBC and Cardiff some environmental cred points and something to boast about.

Totally agree with all that! I'm very surprised at the lack of greenery in Central Square! It will look a little better soon when we have leaves on the few trees you mentioned (although ironically that will further illustrate your point). But we need many more trees cleverly located.
As for the trees (barely - more like saplings :o ) in front of HMRC - Wow they've got a struggle to survive! I really hope my lack of faith in my fellow man/woman is proven unfounded but sadly I doubt it :|

CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Brian62

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 9:37 am

I think public squares are something we just don't do well in the UK. I've been trying to think of a modern one I like. The old paternoster by St Paul's was a 60s monstrosity and the new one is just as unpleasant. Leicester Square seems to get worse every time something is done. Piccadilly in Manchester has been destroyed. Bristol has those strange water jets.

Callaghan square is a big roundabout for middle aged men to skateboard on. Central square is shaping up to be grey and windswept, and who thought a pret would look good? Maybe we should be shameless and copy a nice one from Europe.

Cardiff

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 2:04 pm

It even says on the central square website the public areas are meant to be green!

Glenn

PostSat Mar 21, 2020 3:42 am

Cardiff wrote:Totally agree with all that! I'm very surprised at the lack of greenery in Central Square! It will look a little better soon when we have leaves on the few trees you mentioned (although ironically that will further illustrate your point). But we need many more trees cleverly located.
As for the trees (barely - more like saplings :o ) in front of HMRC - Wow they've got a struggle to survive! I really hope my lack of faith in my fellow man/woman is proven unfounded but sadly I doubt it :|

They haven't even got tree guards around them? Surely a few cheap metal tree guards wouldn't have cost that much? Especially if they're worried about match day crowds. Even if they were just second hand ones until the trees have matured enough. Fingers crossed they mature quickly and aren't toppled by drunk rugby fans or a high wind (or a gentle gust by the looks of them!). Surely some of those stone blocks (benches?) could have been planters as well? Does feel like a big missed opportunity and hopefully something that can be rectified a few years down the line with some creative thinking (or just some big planters).

Hope the Council push for more greenery in all future developments, especially if they don't want to look like hypocrites when they approve these big grey tower blocks and public squares with little to no greenery to absorb pollution for big land developers, just a few saplings to tick the "green" box, but then want to bring in congestion charging on regular folk. Perhaps creating guidelines based on expected building occupancy numbers and calculate how much greenery would be expected to offset the increased numbers of commuters/power consumption etc. Places like Capital Quarter have put a lot of time and effort into creating some nice little green spaces along Herbert St. Nothing mind blowing, but some young trees and grass verges and some hardy shrubs/ornamental grasses. Even driving by the West Wing student accommodation today they've planted trees all along Newport Rd Lane next to Tredegarville School and were today planting more trees on Moira Terrace. Does make all the difference and I hope the council start pushing for it more.

LRcardiff

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 3:20 pm

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 3:49 pm

LRcardiff wrote:Are they building on plot 6?!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/50163804816/

That crane is a bit of a mystery isn't it? (which is why I took that photo). I can't see this being the final plot as that is completely under the radar with no planning app to my knowledge anyway. That said their were plans for some kind of low rise structure at this location, connected with the new public square now open in front of HMRC. I'm going past the area again later so I may go around the back, Park St, and see if that gives more of a clue.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum