It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

Cardiff 15000 arena

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: Cardiff 15000 arena

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 3:32 pm

LocalLurker wrote: I've been reading a couple articles on the Bristol Post this week regarding the arena and it is looking more and more likely Bristol's new arena will get built in Filton rather than the city centre, which would be very foolish IMO

Very foolish indeed. The propsals for Filton are sketchy at best while the Temple Meads plans are backed by SMG and Live Nation who are experienced arena operators. It could well end up with neither plan being brought to fruition and with SMG and Live Nation switching their interest to Cardiff.

I like Bristol as a city but it does appear that they have real problems delivering major projects.

Owen

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 9:54 pm

Further delay in deciding on where to build Bristol Arena.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bristo ... 713008.amp
I think it might now swing back to Temple Meads, which would make it more of a competitor to Cardiff and they will re-start construction quickly

Ash

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 10:08 pm

I'm not holding my breath!

There's an extraordinary quote from Bristol's Mayor in that article.

“This is a decision for the 50 year future of Bristol - for jobs, for economic growth and to maintain a vibrant city centre by delivering the best option. I must ensure all options have been appropriately developed and considered.

Really? It just shows how sclerotic Bristol's local government is.

I mean none of us here would regard an arena as vital 'for the 50 year future of Cardiff'. It's in the 'nice to have' category.

Cardiff

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 10:08 am

I think it is in the interest of Cardiff to solidify its position as one of the leading cities for events to have an arena. We can just about claim the Celtic Manor as Cardiff but without the arena Bristol not only does better than us in business but also will have an arena, that if built, is of a very good quality and would steal acts from Cardiff.

LocalLurker

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 8:06 pm

They really are their own worst enemy. Looking more and more likely we may get ours in place before theirs

moyceyyy

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 12:27 am

LocalLurker wrote:
Lyndon wrote:
paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:
This arena would mean that we have all bases covered! The Principality stadium is having another great year! and it seems quite likely that we may have another global interest boxing match here in sept/oct - whoever pushed for a roof on our stadium take a bow!! Regarding the arena - even though Cardiff has a lot! it sure is missing that size of venue, I wonder when we'll hear more on it?

Cardiff painfully lags behind Bristol in the number of smaller venues suitable for indie bands, though I admit that's probably a niche interest. :lol:

Bristol's Bierkeller closed earlier this year, where I enjoyed many a gig :( https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ed-1194469
Surrey Vaults also closed late last year https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/ ... aks-840118

It's not rosy on the Bristol music scene at all sadly :(

With the Tramshed doing a decent trade and Womanby Street saved, I don't think we are too far behind Bristol now in the smaller venue stakes.

I've been reading a couple articles on the Bristol Post this week regarding the arena and it is looking more and more likely Bristol's new arena will get built in Filton rather than the city centre, which would be very foolish IMO

I don't really think we're in the position to compare Bristol's music scene to Cardiff's yet.

It's great to see Cardiff's large-scale events selling out and attracting world-class artists. I do think it's key for the arena to be hastily built too. It would fill the gap and truly make Cardiff the premier city for entertainment in the South West of the UK (As it already is with sports).

However, Bristol's underground scene is still the king over Cardiff's. Bristol's is actually one of the biggest in the UK. Taking a walk down Stokes Croft and going to Motion for Bristol's strong drum & bass and reggae/dance scenes is leagues above what Cardiff has in Womanby Street.

I'd love for that to change, however!

LocalLurker

PostSun Jul 01, 2018 3:58 pm

I agree that Bristol has more to offer at the moment than Cardiff for the smaller/underground scene however the feeling I get is standing still, whilst Cardiff is developing all the time.

More fall out from the Bristol Arena delay...

https://www.businessleader.co.uk/arena- ... man/46695/

With more justified Cardiff-envy in the article...

A Lot has been made about Cardiff and its development compared to Bristol, what are your thoughts on this?

Bristol is behind on a few items such as cultural, sport and music. Cardiff is an events mecca, if you look at it, they’ve got the strategy spot on, everything revolves around the train station. I don’t ever think about driving into Cardiff to see an event, because the transport into the city is so easy – it works.

Cardiff is attractive to event organisers because they have a model which works and is proven and I think copying this strategy would work here in Bristol.

There’s a clear structure and a clear strategy. We’ve been talking about the arena for years and there’s no consistency with who’s planning it. There’s also mixed messages coming from the council and that doesn’t help.

I’m sorry to say – but it’s a shambles, an absolute shambles.

Briz-Tim

PostSun Jul 01, 2018 5:12 pm

Odd definition of envy. That quote is just stating the facts of the current situation, it's closer to praise of Cardiff if anything. Largely highlighting the benefit of having the arena by a major railway station.

A city the size and stature of Bristol in any other northern European country would have the infrastructure that the city is still trying to build. Cardiff is the closest major city to Bristol, is smaller in stature and yet it has managed to get some of these projects that Bristol has yet to get through. So it's obviously going to get mentioned frequently, it's not really specific to Cardiff as a place; Nottingham, Leeds etc get mentioned (in other articles). It's more a case of ''They are able to do it, so should we, and why should we have to go to another place with these facilities when our own city is clearly capable of having them as well''.

Owen

PostSat Aug 25, 2018 9:03 am

I think this couldn't have panned out better for Cardiff....
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... in-1936828
Bristol are going to abandon their plans for an arena at temple meads. They're going to explore building one in Filton, but everything suggests it'Ll never get permission
So come on Russell & Cardiff council - time to go for it with the arena down the Bay

Ash

PostSat Aug 25, 2018 9:33 am

Good God, Brizzle local politics are still a total mess it seems. :roll:

Bristol was the only city in England to vote in favour of having an elected mayor precisely because their council was so divided and sclerotic. Now the move appears to have made the situation even worse!

The backers of the Temple Meads scheme are SMG and Live Nation which operates the current arena in Cardiff and has been mentioned as the operator for the new one.

My guess is that if they do get shafted by Bristol they'll be even more eager to progress the Cardiff scheme.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum