It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

DJKiran

Re: Metro

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 1:41 pm

I really hope the plans by 2030 go through, especially with a route to my home town, which has had a disused railway since last century.

jones4891

DavidH71

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 10:46 pm

Looks like a good use of space, and certainly a much better idea than turning half of Lloyd George Ave into a car park that nobody will use. Presumably the tram lines are funded from the Metro project, so is the bid for extra money to cover the park element of the scheme? I'm glad that most of the wall is being retained - it's actually quite an attractive piece of stonework, so it is just a matter of designing some suitable slopes and steps to allow people to cross from West to east. (The comparison with the Berlin Wall strikes me as being slightly fatuous and in rather poor taste, considering how many people were killed trying to cross that monstrous structure.)

MattW

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 9:13 am

Not strictly the Metro but interesting..

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... l-20830657

SteveBroody

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 2:27 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... w-22346809
Wales Online but it's the first metro news i've seen in a while!

Msmurf

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 11:57 am

There are a few snippets of new information about the metro in Cardiff Bay area included in Cardiff Council Cabinet Minutes dated 10 Feb, including:

Construction of Cardiff Queen Street to existing Cardiff Bay station will start in August 2022 and be completed by Summer 2023.

This will include dualling of lines and construction of new station at Loudon Square (also called Butetown on accompanying map)

Discussions with TfW ongoing to add connection to Cardiff Central, extension to new Interchange at Pierhead Street (the replacement Cardiff Bay station) and onward to Roath Basin, as first phase of Cardiff Crossrail.

Future phases confirmed with stations at Tremorfa, Newport Road (Rover Way) and Cardiff Parkway (St Mellons)

Accompanying map also shows a new station at Callaghan Square on Bute Street just to south of Square, and a spur line to Alexandra Head (near Barrage) but no details given
Last edited by Msmurf on Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Msmurf

PostFri Mar 11, 2022 11:38 am

Article including images and maps here..[https://nation.cymru/news/new-metro-station-planned-for-cardiff-crossrail-as-part-of-bay-arena-development/][/url]

dazplott

PostSat Mar 12, 2022 2:56 pm

I’m not really sure what’s behind the idea of an ‘Interchange’ at pierhead street. From the renders it looks like an on street stop for the new line serving the east of the city with a mixed use development surrounding it and a pedestrian bridge across the A4232 to the Arena quarter. Hardly an interchange if located on a single tram line. A true interchange would need to be located at the intersection of 2 or more lines or provide modal transfer. I’d also expect it to be centrally located close to a number of destinations - this site is offset from all the main destinations in the bay And requires additional Infrastructure, in the form of the pedestrian bridge, for access to the arena. An interchange would surely be better located around the bottom of Lloyd George Avenue whether the planned tram lines intersect.

That being said, I do recognise the value of a tram stop on pierhead street and the bridge would open it up to the area meaning event crowds wouldn’t all be getting on or off trams in the same location. I’m sure the landowners would be extremely supportive as it will add value to a currently vacant site and the rest of their office estate in that area. I presume the deal will be for them to pay for the pedestrian bridge and the trans stop Itself. Similar to the way JR Smart built the pedestrian/cycle bridge over the mainline at capital quarter

Msmurf

PostMon Mar 14, 2022 7:21 pm

I think the idea is that it would be a focal point for bus services - similar to Cardiff West interchange at Waun-Gron

Owen

PostTue Mar 15, 2022 10:12 pm

Does anyone have any ideas about the Roath Basin station? I'm guessing this is the Splott station they refer to but its location seem to be by the new link road taking u from the bay to rover way.
Who would that serve from that location?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum