It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:04 am

Guildford Terrace

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

amp

Re: Guildford Terrace

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 6:23 pm

dazplott wrote:Isn’t there supposed to be a master plan for the whole area? I’ve only seen drawings of the proposed uncovering of the dock feeder under Churchill Way.

I’ve never been that sentimental about the old buildings and don't really see much benefit in maintaining the terrace facades unless they form part of a coherent master plan. I’d also like to see A3 use behind the facades, not just have them incorporated into the residential development like the New College at Altoluso

Totally agree, we do not want another Altoluso.

Amoore

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 2:31 pm

dazplott wrote:Isn’t there supposed to be a master plan for the whole area? I’ve only seen drawings of the proposed uncovering of the dock feeder under Churchill Way.

The uncovering of the dock feeder is currently called "Canal Quarter - Phase 1". The next major phase will be the square on Kingsway. The various road changes will coincide with both phases.

The consultation document is here: http://keepingcardiffmoving.co.uk/wp-co ... 122020.pdf

My understanding is that "Canal Quarter - Phase 2" will largely depend on what the plans are for the Motorpoint.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 7:58 pm

Haven't even had a good look myself yet but this is what some or many of us on here are eager to see...

https://www.guildfordcrescentconsultation.com/
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

DaiB

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 8:20 pm

Well, it pains me to say it, as I think the whole way Guildford Crescent has been treated is a crying shame, but... this actually looks pretty good to me. It retains the crescent buildings in a fairly convincing way, and the design is simple but fairly elegant, and the proposed materials are decent. Will it survive in this form though once the value engineering has taken place?

elgdav

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 8:44 pm

It does look good.

Bit annoyed by the blocking off the footpath at the back though. It's a useful shortcut to the station etc

DaiB

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 8:53 pm

There's an interesting aesthetic in this corner of Cardiff actually. Maybe it's because we lack some of the grand civic architecture of other cities but the contrast of what is basically Victorian housing with modern large office and residential blocks is quite stirking, and in a weird way this development fits in with that. The aerial visualisations in the Design and Access statement show this quite strongly - its basically historic housing cheek by jowl with modern urban density, and that's kind of interesting.

Simon_SW17

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 10:38 pm

It looks good, I like the three interspersed blocks. Also like the way the facades have been incorporated. The building design looks well thought out, thankfully is no Ty point Haearn and I think it will age well.

Am wondering where the canal quarter fits in and who will develop this part though?

Msmurf

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 10:14 am

I like it a lot....
But I think the estate agents will find it difficult selling the appartments with a prison view....
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Peiriannydd

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 12:09 pm

I think it looks fantastic and I'm quite happy to see someone build something taller than mine! Much better facade retention scheme than the disgraceful Altolusso building too.

If Harlech Court does get redeveloped (which I believe it will) then this will be part of a nice little cluster. The Rapports' building has to be on borrowed time too. I get the sense that they will redevelop their building last, but it's a really good size plot, so something substantial could go there.

Bishop84

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 1:57 pm

Msmurf wrote:I like it a lot....
But I think the estate agents will find it difficult selling the appartments with a prison view....

Will the prison be there for much longer? I understand that rather than refurbish 'smaller' mostly Victorian age city centre prisons the prison service is looking to replace them with new larger establishments such as HMP Berwyn in North Wales.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum