It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:15 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

paul cardiffwalesmap

Re: General Developments

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 4:01 pm

Stephens9370 wrote:Has the work started on the 42 storey building yet?

No, and unless someone knows different? I think it's safe to say that it's not going to start anytime soon :cry: if indeed at all!! :cry: I'm hoping that something is going on behind the scenes and this development comes back as a build to rent maybe?

C'mon watkin-jones get the tallest building in wales constructed by a welsh company in the capital city!! (just in case they are regulars on here! :) )
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Glenn

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 9:03 pm

This may well be old or not going ahead, but just happened to stumble on this on the Draycott Group website as "In the Planning Stages" for Lake Road West/Wedal Road near Roath Park.

Dear God tell me that's not going up!?! It's within the Conservation Area so hopefully it's struck down immediately if it ever gets to the planning office. Nothing compliments classical Edwardian terraces like a 12 story white Miami apartment block with Penthouse. Checked the planning website I can't see any submission for it. From the same team who brought us that huge, lumbering student accommodation monstrosity on City Road which they tried to get a change of use on.

cardiffian

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 11:56 am

I hope it does go ahead, we need more housing in Roath/heath area , there already a massive dual carriage way cutting through roath park, and the enormous hospital right next door. I can't see an issue.

Msmurf

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 12:02 pm

Considering that this will be next to new metro station I can see this bring a very popular place to live.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

daearegwr

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 1:26 pm

Glenn wrote:This may well be old or not going ahead, but just happened to stumble on this on the Draycott Group website as "In the Planning Stages" for Lake Road West/Wedal Road near Roath Park.

Dear God tell me that's not going up!?! It's within the Conservation Area so hopefully it's struck down immediately if it ever gets to the planning office. Nothing compliments classical Edwardian terraces like a 12 story white Miami apartment block with Penthouse. Checked the planning website I can't see any submission for it. From the same team who brought us that huge, lumbering student accommodation monstrosity on City Road which they tried to get a change of use on.

It's on the plot that was the YHA hostel isn't it?

circly_object

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 1:54 pm

Yes, it's opposite the Juboraj and next to the A48. I'm not particularly opposed to it, to be honest. It's in a transportation corridor anyway, and as msmurf points out it's going to be hopefully getting better Metro links in the near future. I doubt it would have much impact visually from the parks, which I would think would be the biggest conservation concern (though I'm happy to be corrected on that)

DaveE

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 7:35 pm

There is an interesting news article on their website about Harlech Court:

https://www.draycottgroup.co.uk/single-post/2018/10/13/Prime-City-Centre-Real-Estate-Acquired-by-Draycott-Group

I was working with someone recently who said that a company called New Directions has been asked to vacate Harlech Court where they had been renting for a few years to make way for a new development (they relocated to Llanishen so no impact on jobs)

The front page of their website shows a sizeable development in its place:

https://www.draycottgroup.co.uk/developments

I don’t remember seeing anything about this but will have a look through the planning portal now, that site could be challenging with the old big sleep (or whatever it’s called now) hotel and car park ramp integrated in to the building.

Msmurf

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 7:56 pm

If Harlech Court is that big tower in the middle, then bring it on !!!

Kyle

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 8:48 pm

The other big tower in that image is the Watkin Jones tower isn't it? And the Harlech Court one is waaayyy bigger.

It seems way too good to be true, could it even fit width wise into the plot?

Msmurf

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 10:24 pm

I just counted 50 stories...I assume the blocks just in front are Capital Quarter.. in which case that must be approaching 180m....

I think I need to lie down.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum