It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:26 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

AlwaysBeBlue

Re: General Developments

PostSun Sep 15, 2019 5:53 pm

Cardiff wrote:Sounds like John Street office block

https://jrsmart.com/current-projects/9/john-street

Park place will be the student tower.

Also the Doctor Who building in the bay is being demolished, would be nice if the medical history museum went here and combined with World of Boats.

Is this in place of what was supposed to be the 40 plus story building or am I in the wrong place

Glenn

PostSun Sep 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Cardiff wrote:Also this is under construction in the bay

https://www.techniquest.org/blog/techni ... l-project/

Hadn't heard about this. Seeing the photo I wasn't too sure about it. I think because of the contrast between the open/airy/glass steel and curved lines of the old building behind and the dark colour/hard angular lines of the new building. Doesn't look very cohesive.

But then thinking about it, had they done the easy thing and put a glass box to go with the glass building behind it would have been a bit dull. At least this is something a bit different. Plus looking at what it's replacing, there is already a lot of angular dark brick walls so it's not really too "out-there". A vast improvement on the loading bay it's replacing as well so I've changed my opinion!

Side view from their planning application. Alongside the globe the angles look quite interesting as well. Lots of interesting shapes and angles I guess is appropriate for a science museum

Looks like they're improving the public realm as well. That stretch of the the waterfront has always seemed a bit dead and underutilised. Hope they make use of it a bit more, surprised they don't use the graving docks for shows or something.

Cardiff

PostSun Sep 15, 2019 7:03 pm

I've always thought that they should either remove the docks and have a large marina there or as they are linear with only one way in, have one as a park for kids and one as a park for dogs.

Thewasp

PostSun Sep 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Is there going to be another student tower?? I read they couldn't fill what has been built already and are now changing to rented apartments...

Thewasp

PostSun Sep 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Also wondered if they could use one of the docks for a lido or an aquarium or something?... too expensive perhaps?

Amoore

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 10:49 am

Cardiff wrote:Also this is under construction in the bay

https://www.techniquest.org/blog/techni ... l-project/

I might be missing something but why is that visual showing it at sunset? That area is a ghost town post 4pm.

Ash

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 10:12 am

Has anyone else noticed the sudden proliferation of gift shops aimed at visitors to Cardiff. There have been openings recently in High Street and St. John Street in addition to the existing shops opposite the castle.

Is this the result of an upswing in tourism numbers, a lowering of rents due to the pressure on retail or an expansion of the money-laundering network that London gift stores are notorious for?

I suspect all three!

Thewasp

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 6:23 pm

Owen

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 1:33 pm

If you’re so inclined, October’s Cardiff Council’s Cabinet meeting agenda has quite a few interesting documents. It includes the report on Cardiff Pointe, but also one on their new music strategy with details of an annual signature music event to be announced soon. There is also a report on their Cardiff East Industrial strategy. Some interesting points, with a long term goal of creating a new major highway link between Rover Way and A48M/A48. It also recognises the need for infrastructure investment for access to Cardiff Parkway, which will apparently have a planning application submitted Spring 2020 and built & operational by 2023.

Thewasp

PostSun Oct 06, 2019 9:28 pm

Interested to find out about this musical event. Wonder where in the city or if on outskirts like a festival.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum