It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Dr O

Re: General Developments

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 11:19 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Ash wrote:WTF? I mean, is there anything at all that South Wales Police won't object to or do they want all people and businesses removed from Cardiff city centre in order to ensure perfect peace and harmony?

This is simply bonkers. It's a KFC in the city centre not a bloody opium den!!

Police have objected to plans for a KFC on Cardiff's St Mary Street due to crime and disorder worries. The fast food giant wants to open up on the famous street in the capital, but South Wales Police have formally objected.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/kfc-cardiff-st-mary-street-17236436

Fried chicken restaurants attract trouble and disorder. This is a fact. KFC attracts a certain clientele involved in gangsterism and drug dealing. If you can't handle this truth it says more about your inclinations and prejudices than you'd probably care to admit.

Could you provide a source to back up those 'facts and truths'.

Cardiff

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 11:49 am

Whilst i dont condone Mr Blue Skys remarks he made no mention of race, though if this was America it would be heavily implied though i dont think we have that stereotype here(?) but still a comment that could be taken very offensively!
Having passed Mc Donalds on a weekend night i could agree that all fast food places near clubs/pubs are a likely flash point for violence, Charlie Romeo (Security/doorman radio system) was always going off from there...EVERY day of the weekend and is completely separate from race!

Mr Blue Sky

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 1:22 pm

Cardiff wrote:Whilst i dont condone Mr Blue Skys remarks he made no mention of race, though if this was America it would be heavily implied though i dont think we have that stereotype here(?) but still a comment that could be taken very offensively!
Having passed Mc Donalds on a weekend night i could agree that all fast food places near clubs/pubs are a likely flash point for violence, Charlie Romeo (Security/doorman radio system) was always going off from there...EVERY day of the weekend and is completely separate from race!

And that was exactly my point! McDonalds in Cardiff is required to have security at night time due to the clientele it attracts! So why should KFC be any different? Fried Chicken is part of the gangsta lifestyle in the Anglosphere. Going to McDonalds is a part of the pissed-up yobbo culture in the U.K., and I’d imagine other countries too.

Dr O, a quick google found this link

https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets ... estaurants

Dr O

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 4:22 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Cardiff wrote:Whilst i dont condone Mr Blue Skys remarks he made no mention of race, though if this was America it would be heavily implied though i dont think we have that stereotype here(?) but still a comment that could be taken very offensively!

And that was exactly my point! McDonalds in Cardiff is required to have security at night time due to the clientele it attracts! So why should KFC be any different? Fried Chicken is part of the gangsta lifestyle in the Anglosphere. Going to McDonalds is a part of the pissed-up yobbo culture in the U.K., and I’d imagine other countries too.

Uh huh. So in a two year period, at or near 4 locations there were 84 offences, even if all offence were individual incidents that's a rate of less than one offence a month. That doesn't seem unusually high to me for a business operating all hours in a busy location, do you have stats that show it is? Moreover I can only see three offence relating to drugs, none of which are for dealing, do these 'certain clientele' you refer only frequent KFC's in Cardiff? Perhaps you could be more specific by who you mean by 'certain clientele' to help me understand your point?

Mr Blue Sky

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 7:35 pm

Dr O wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:

Uh huh. So in a two year period, at or near 4 locations there were 84 offences, even if all offence were individual incidents that's a rate of less than one offence a month. That doesn't seem unusually high to me for a business operating all hours in a busy location, do you have stats that show it is? Moreover I can only see three offence relating to drugs, none of which are for dealing, do these 'certain clientele' you refer only frequent KFC's in Cardiff? Perhaps you could be more specific by who you mean by 'certain clientele' to help me understand your point?

The clientele are young men who may be involved in criminal activity. I have quite a few male offspring in their teens and twenties who frequent these establishments. I myself have a criminal record going back many years so I'm perhaps more aware of this milieu than you.

I'm assuming you live in the real world. This isn't rocket science. Criminals and drug dealers have to eat and hang out somewhere and in the UK the place of choice is fried chicken shops. They tend to have tables and chairs, unlike curry/chinese/fish and chip takeaways, so the crims can relax and nibble on some chicken while conducting their nefarious activities in person or on their phones.

Burger bars are also popular for this kind of activity, hence the "Burger Bar Boys" gang in Birmingham, one of whom mistakenly machine-gunned his half-sister to death in 2003.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_ ... hakespeare

My opinion is that a similar gang nowadays would be called the "Chicken Shop Boys".

Ooh look! They are!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... uiry-finds

Ash

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 12:40 pm

Does anyone know why hoardings have gone up around Fusion Point in Dumballs Road? Hopefully it either being replaced or tarted up.It has a business park vibe about it as a building and doesn't really fit in with the more recent builds around it.

Kyle

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 10:02 am

Ash wrote:Does anyone know why hoardings have gone up around Fusion Point in Dumballs Road? Hopefully it either being replaced or tarted up.It has a business park vibe about it as a building and doesn't really fit in with the more recent builds around it.

I saw something in a Savills article about a refurbishment to upgrade it to 'Grade A' space, so maybe it's related to this?

Cwlcymro

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Kyle wrote:
Ash wrote:Does anyone know why hoardings have gone up around Fusion Point in Dumballs Road? Hopefully it either being replaced or tarted up.It has a business park vibe about it as a building and doesn't really fit in with the more recent builds around it.

I saw something in a Savills article about a refurbishment to upgrade it to 'Grade A' space, so maybe it's related to this?

Likely to be this:

https://www.business-live.co.uk/business/commercial-property/multi-million-pound-plans-transform-16663130

Lyndon

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 8:48 pm

Plans announced for the old tax office site in Llanishen:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/llanishen-cardiff-property-hmrc-tax-17279954

With the move imminent, plans for development of the Llanishen site, which has been home to the tax office for 50 years, are being finalised with plans for more than 350 flats and homes, retirement complex and a care home.

The key points of the proposals from Cannon Capitol Developments are:

Demolition of all buildings with the exception of Gleider House (the smaller tower facing Ty Glas Road)
Conversion of Gleider into 142 one and two-bedroomed apartments with commercial units at ground level
195 new build family houses
80 retirement apartments
70-bed care home facility.

There are also plans for open spaces, pedestrian and cycling links.

Demolition of the site is likely to cost around £14.8million because of the "sheer size of the buildings, the high amount of asbestos in the buildings and the contamination in the ground because it used to be part of the site of a Royal Ordnance Factory".

Glenn

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 2:59 am

Surprised they're keeping the smaller tower. I thought they'd bulldoze the lot. May be in the minority but I don't hate that smaller tower. Still sticks out like a sore thumb in it's location, but it's quite simple/clean/modern/symmetrical looking. If they scrubbed the outside up, put full length windows in, colonnades around the base with shops/cafes I think it would look alright. It's in a nice area, with good transport links. If as part of the refurb they extend the windows around to the south side of the building and offer views across the City I think they could be interesting. The uninterrupted green views up to the hills would be nice as well. Unusual to have a taller building so far out of the city and in a decent area. All depends how much money they're willing to put in. I think there is certainly a market for people who want a nice, modern apartment without it being in the middle of a city with all the problems that come with that.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum