It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

Military Medicine Museum

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cardiff

Re: Military Medicine Museum

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 4:46 pm

I thik the expected 250 thousand visitor numbers expected were really shown up by the fact the US one only gets 50 thousand a year. If this museum is to be succesful it should be a number of different musums and a local comunity hub, all combined.

Simon__200

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 10:50 am

Cardiff wrote:I dont understand peoples link between a museum coming to Cardiff and thoughts it should be something else? Well they arnt proposing a Butetown/Tiger bay museum, they arnt proposing a Roald Dahl museum (sorry Thewasp, just using this as an example), its an already existent museum that wants to come to Cardiff, if there was a call for a Butetown museum it wouldnt have closed, if there was a call for a stand alone Doctor Who experiance in Cardiff it would have stayed, but unfortunately they just didnt get the visotor numbers/provide enough for it to remain open/open a stand alone museum.

Its not like the Ivy is coming to Cardiff and people say it should be a Cotte Brasserie!

And yet somehow in all this World of Boats manages to stay open. How?

Cardiff

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 11:03 am

No costs? It would be interesting to see what they are being charged for the land, last year their cafe was packed so i imagine they were making some good money, never been in to the actual boats part, but the whole set up is very messy and needs to be taken care of for such a prime piece of land.I always thought if there was call for an observation tower in Cardiff this would be the best place for it, plus any residential here would be in demand (something akin to Gunwharf in Portsmouth, but without the retail).

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 11:36 am

As much as I love having a pint at World of Boats it is messy and that land in general is wasted. It's sort of like a well kept secret and has the charm of a family run business (because it is) in the middle of chain city. I'm sure it's days will be numbered in a few years but hopefully once the pandemic passes a few of us locals who use it can continue to use it for a jolly old drink until its demise!

It'll either end up like the Wharf pub, completely demolished and numerous flats built with ground floor retail and hospitality. Or, depending on what happens with this Military Museum, it could be another leisure destination.

Ash

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 4:40 pm

Isn't the guy who WoB a quite well off eccentric? I seem to remember the collection was somewhere in the SW of England befre it moved to Cardiff. Was it in Exeter or somwhere like that?

jones4891

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 12:13 am

Unless they've been reinstated in the past few months, as far as I'm aware the World of Boats part closed a couple of years ago. My wife and I were looking at it as a possible wedding venue in 2018 and the exhibition space was already closed to the public by then. The Lookout Cafe is run essentilly as a seperate business I believe. I went back last year when enquiring about a venue for an event I was helping organise and the owner showed me round the old exhibition space which was by that point totally empty. They have been running music nights down there recently (pre-Coronavirus obviously).

DavidH71

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 10:28 am

Wales 247 has an interesting article on what the new museum will contain and how it will work with the community. It explains how Cardiff is not the random location that some people believe.
https://www.wales247.co.uk/first-look-o ... rdiff-bay/

daearegwr

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 10:35 am

DavidH71 wrote:Wales 247 has an interesting article on what the new museum will contain and how it will work with the community. It explains how Cardiff is not the random location that some people believe.
https://www.wales247.co.uk/first-look-o ... rdiff-bay/

I do hope it's a success as always good to have variety in terms of events and attractions Cardiff has to offer.

But most of that article reads like things they've come up with after announcing Cardiff as the location to justify having it here. Earlier in the thread somebody posted that their own website stated
“The site in Cardiff was chosen after earlier approaches to other cities around the United Kingdom came to nought.”
Sounds like we were somewhere down the list of possible choices!

MattW

Simon_SW17

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 11:25 am

Worst museum ever, what an utter waste of land and money.

A better idea would be to incorporate a Roald Dahl attraction and stick the medicine bit somewhere less prominent within the building. Or a Doctor Who/BBC attraction, or anything really but not just a Military Medicine Museum please.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum