It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

AlwaysBeBlue

Re: General Developments

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 10:58 pm

When someone on facebook says that Cardiff is now like New York, you know you are done.
The problem is half the people commenting on Wale online are in their 70s and remember Cardiff from the 60s when it looked like a run down car park.

The City has never looked so good and the City needs to continue to grow and now more than ever, it needs quality high rise buildings for people to live in, or the City Centre will die a death.

Msmurf

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 2:22 am

Fully agree. Cardiff has a well defined conservation zone with some stunning architecture - but we are also now getting a well defined Central Business District building up around Central Station. This latest development complements the CBD nicely. We need modern buildings full of well paid office workers in order for Cardiff to thrive - and modern appartments for them to live in. The planners have largely got it right.....
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

penarth bloke

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 1:29 pm

I'd like to see more mixed use city centre buildings. High Rise made up of commercial and residential use. It's common on the mainland.

Ash

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 pm

penarth bloke wrote:I'd like to see more mixed use city centre buildings. High Rise made up of commercial and residential use. It's common on the mainland.

There's some of that happening. SD2 has appartments above the shopping mall and the Interchange will havae residential and commercial sections as well as a MSCP.

DJKiran

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 1:51 pm

Can't help but see a bit of passive aggression in that goodbye message from Porters lol And yeah, if only they kept the venue and built the tower on top...

Rhodri

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 4:54 pm

Porters could go to the railway arches, an empty unit on St Mary St, the new canal quarter. There are many options. Sure it may be the design isn't to everyone's taste but there will be a pressing need to ensure the city centre is supported and schemes like this will assist.

One thing is for sure, it this comes off it will add to the entrance to town via SWML will be further enhanced!

Welshpaul1972

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 10:06 pm

I’m a member of various Facebook groups relating to Cardiff both past and future and have made a positive post concerning this, only to be lambasted by so many people who are totally against this, saying that there are hundreds of empty flats throughout the city (none can answer where these are located), citing the amount of vacant student accommodation (even though this isn’t student) and saying that old Cardiff is being obliterated.

Whilst I don’t necessarily agree with some of the buildings which have been demolished over the years or some of the buildings which have been constructed (Ty Hearn being one of the worst I have ever seen), Cardiff need to keep evolving and develop -if not places such as Bristol will attract all the jobs and development leaving Cardiff to suffer.

I’m always excited by the changes taking place and I think anything tall in this area works well given the scale of the existing buildings. When I think back to when I was a teenager in the 1980’s, the city doesn’t compare - its a great place.

When we have reverted to some sense of normality following the pandemic I’m hoping all the developments being planned will recommence and the city will again be a hive of activity.

Msmurf

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 1:50 am

/\ This post /\
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

DaiB

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 11:01 am

It's really frustrating. I love places like Porters and I think they're incredibly important for all sorts of reasons. But so many people just seem to make stuff up or pick a skewed target. In the last 24 hours I've seen countless posts and tweets stating stuff like venues keep closing because of high rise flats or student flats (arguably one has - Gwdihw. Porters is as unknown quantity but generally where venues have been lost it hasn't been because of this sort of development, or even for developments at all in most cases) , Cardiff is full of empty flats, full of student skyscrapers (there were 2 the last time I counted), Harlech Court being referenced as part of the city's historic character... it's mentally exhausting just trying to engage with this sort of stuff, particularly when one wants to agree with the fundamental aim of protecting the city's cultural infrastructure.

Dr O

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 12:06 pm

I'm on one of these Facebook groups called Developing Cardiff, foolishly, I thought that name would mean it's fairly pro development but it's just full of the usual anti change brigade with no understanding or will to understand economic realities. People seriously argue that the bus station and St David's house is great lost to the city, or that pedestrianisation is a bad thing including even Queen Street which as done what, 40+years ago? I think peoplemoaning about everything like this makes it harder to protect actually important buildings. It means legitimate concerns get lost in the noise of blatant NIMBYism.

As for music venues, I do think this is a problem and the city needs to find areas where these venues can thrive safely, Womanby Street should absolutely be protected as one of these. However, Porters is in a weird location to begin with, one that is obvious for development and can't support any further venues if it was to be protected. It's a great place and I hope they can find a new home somewhere but I don't see any moral issue with how they are being treated - as opposed to what happened to 10feettall for example.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum