It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:26 am

Cardiff international arena redevelopment..

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

YouaremyCardiff95

Cardiff international arena redevelopment..

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 2:28 pm

So we know there is planning for a 15,000 arena in the bay in the near future so what does this mean for the arena in central and what would people like to see developed there in the future..also the car parks ajoined would probably be available to as a wider mega development. Mixed used hopefully and something to attract the crowds that no near city has would be ideal ! Thoughts.

Peiriannydd

Re: Cardiff international arena redevelopment..

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 5:32 pm

The CIA capacity (5,000) is similar to the Royal Albert Hall and suits a lot of small acts that might struggle to fill a 15,000 seat arena.

St David's Hall (2,000), Wales Millennium Centre (2,500) is similar to Bristol's Colston Hall and again, suits smaller acts.

I appreciate it's dated but the CIA is a good sized venue and should stay, or it should be replaced with something of a similar size.

Collectively, when considering the Principality and Cardiff City Stadium, Cardiff will have venues to suit all sizes of acts and that's great.

YouaremyCardiff95

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 6:28 pm

The cardiff great hall has been legendary over the years and the Union is more than capable of joining the Taf bar and Y plas with the great hall to make a super venue of 4,000 people !! I believe it's more than enough for smaller up and coming acts and old legends!.. new venue based in the bay will be fantastic for high quality acts and event and to carry on development of the bay as being the most exciting waterfront development in europe. Therefore I believe the cia had served it's purpose well and it's time too make way for something new and exciting..does anyone know what was there before the cardiff international arena ??

YouaremyCardiff95

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 6:31 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:The CIA capacity (5,000) is similar to the Royal Albert Hall and suits a lot of small acts that might struggle to fill a 15,000 seat arena.

St David's Hall (2,000), Wales Millennium Centre (2,500) is similar to Bristol's Colston Hall and again, suits smaller acts.

I appreciate it's dated but the CIA is a good sized venue and should stay, or it should be replaced with something of a similar size.

Collectively, when considering the Principality and Cardiff City Stadium, Cardiff will have venues to suit all sizes of acts and that's great.

What would you replace it with then .. does it need something that no city such as bristol and as ffar as the outskirts of london can compete with ?

Ash

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 7:03 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:The CIA capacity (5,000) is similar to the Royal Albert Hall and suits a lot of small acts that might struggle to fill a 15,000 seat arena.

But are there sufficient acts to justify all those venues? Saint David's Hall's programme was pretty thin in pre-Covid times. Presumably if the CIA was demolished, and I should imagine it will be given the value of the land, the new 3,500 capacity arena in Swansea will take up some of the slack.

YouaremyCardiff95

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 7:13 pm

So again if it was to be demolished then are we looking at more student accomodations more private rent apartments..I don't think any big office towers would get filled unless it was mixed use. I personally would like too see possibly a state of the art indoor mega park , water park , adventure park maybe include a massive central techniquest !.. huge aquarium possibly too. ?

Thewasp

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 11:14 pm

I think the council have plans for any type of entertainment venue to be down the Bay. I have often thought an aquarium would be good but again down the Bay.
I also think an interactive Dahl museum would be good as would more of a focus on Scott of the Antarctic.

Ash

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 11:16 am

Thewasp wrote:I think the council have plans for any type of entertainment venue to be down the Bay. I have often thought an aquarium would be good but again down the Bay.
I also think an interactive Dahl museum would be good as would more of a focus on Scott of the Antarctic.

There were plans for both in CBDC days. The Dahl museum was planned for where the St David's Hotel is now and the aquarium was on an island in the lake!

daearegwr

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 3:45 pm

A lot of the acts that play the CIA would usually play smaller or larger venues elsewhere. We often get acts in the CIA (which has a standing capacity of 7500) that would play for example Brixton Academy (5000 capacity) or arenas (10k+) elsewhere.

But I agree it is quite a jump from Great Hall to an arena and a lot of other UK cities have a venue with capacity in the 3-5k range.

I wonder if the new arena is versatile enough to be able to have a smaller room, or adapted for shows in the 3-6k capacity range. Makes sense to try and consolidate into one building in terms of infrastructure and frees up the city centre for other uses.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum