It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 pm

Lloyd George Car Park?

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

dazplott

Lloyd George Car Park?

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 9:39 pm

Looks like Cardiff Council want to turn half of Lloyd George Avenue into a car park.

https://cardiffnewsroom.co.uk/releases/c25/26284.html

DaiB

Re: Lloyd George Car Park?

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 10:11 pm

Given the traffic levels, it makes sense really. I suppose you could say it goes against the idea of giving public transport priority, but a bus lane isn't needed at the moment. And on event days it's all coach parking already without detrimental impact.

DaiB

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 10:15 pm

DaiB wrote:Given the traffic levels, it makes sense really. I suppose you could say it goes against the idea of giving public transport priority, but a bus lane isn't needed at the moment. And on event days it's all coach parking already without detrimental impact.

Sorry to quote myself, but have just read it again, and properly grasped what's being proposed (gin has happened this evening)... not quite so sure about this, would put paid to the whole Grand Avenue idea. But it's never really been that anyway, has it?

Brian62

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 7:00 am

Looks awful. The main problems on LGA are the motorists that drive and park on the pavement and the cyclists that refuse to use the bike lanes. This makes no difference to the first and makes the second worse.
The logic is off as well. There's constant complaints about congestion elsewhere but here they are looking to create it. Cardiff Council are on about increasing active travel, yet here they are encouraging people to drive to the bay, an area with a surplus of parking, while discouraging active travel.
It makes no sense.

LRcardiff

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 2:03 pm

Are there any photos of the plans?

I live on Lloyd George Avenue and would be keen to see what they're planning.

dazplott

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 2:45 pm

LRcardiff wrote:Are there any photos of the plans?

I can only find the images on Twitter
https://twitter.com/cardiffcouncil/stat ... 42989?s=21

dazplott

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 2:56 pm

I agree that the traffic levels have never justified a dual carriageway and a separated cycle lane. This still seems like a backward step though. The metro and the Arena development provide a once in a generation opportunity to fix the mess created by Cardiff Bay Development Corp here.

Ideally, all of the land between Bute street and the flats along LGA should be redevelopment when the metro tram line is built. As I understand it the plan is for the tram to come from central via Callaghan square replacing the bay branch line. This allows for the creation of a proper link between the city and the bay and just as importantly remove the physical barrier that separates butetown from the redeveloped bay.

The fact that CC is considering this half backed scheme makes me worry that the tram line is going to take forever to arrive.

Bishop84

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 3:27 pm

LRcardiff wrote:Are there any photos of the plans?

Here's a link to the consultation document on the Cardiff Council website: https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resident ... Avenue.pdf

Bishop84

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 3:33 pm

Maybe a short term measure while they figure out the final plan for the area? I thought they had been talking about closing one of the carriageways for a quite some time. Wasn't there a plan to reduce the road and use the land to build more bland apartment buildings between there and the train line / proposed tramway.

LRcardiff

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 4:46 pm

As someone who owns one of the bland apartments I don't really mind new parking places on one of carriageways..... hopefully any changes they make will get rid of a few sets of the unnecessary traffic lights at every junction.

Whatever does happen with the west carriageway, whether it stays as parking spaces or eventually becomes more...... "bland" apartments (haha) I hope that if/when they construct Loudon Square metro stop that they keep the plan to open up access either side of the tracks.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum