It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

Landore Court - 25 Storey apartments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

paul cardiffwalesmap

Re: Landore Court - 25 Storey apartments

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 12:25 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:I can count 37/38 floors on this bad boy.

walesonline have had a number of articles on the 25 storey Bridge street student accommodation tower "next door" and then publish a render of this new proposed tower which is significantly taller with the headline 25 storey apartments? :oops: :roll:
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Msmurf

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 6:45 am

I think it is 25 storeys of appartments - above 12 storeys of offices.

Looks awesome!
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 8:12 am

Good point. But still, you'd think click bait Wales Online would be selling the 37 floors.

HalRobsonKanu

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 10:09 am

Didn't see this coming at all and I'm not really sure what to think about it.

I know that Paul is always paranoid about high rise development proposals not going ahead. When I see proposals like this I have a different paranoia, which is that they will go ahead and be massively disappointing. We are no longer desperate for any old development in Cardiff city centre and in my opinion it is high time that the Council took a much stronger line with developers on design standards and building materials and on insisting that buildings should match the architectural renders.

In terms of Charles Street, i certainly would not miss the grim pastiche architecture of Landore Court but I do have some concerns about whether a building of this scale would be appropriate.

I would personally prefer a cluster of tall buildings to appear on the other side of Bridge Street on the Rapport/NCP/CIA site. I have also always thought that the IBIS hotel site would be ideal for a very tall building and would look great looking down Churchill Way from Queen Street.

Charles Street is a bit of a hotch potch at the moment - has been for years - and I think it could be significantly improved. I have my doubts about how much this scheme would contribute to that - although I guess it would significantly increase footfall in the area. I would love to see the street completely overhauled. Creating more active frontages on the sides of the M&S and Next buildings, with small shops and cafes would be a key part of transforming the Street and drawing people down there from Queen Street, as at the moment that entire end of the road is pretty much dead apart from the Sisha cafe. I'd also really like to see a through route being created next to the church that would allow direct access to Churchill Way from the back of M&S.

Ash

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 10:42 am

HalRobsonKanu wrote: Creating more active frontages on the sides of the M&S and Next buildings, with small shops and cafes would be a key part of transforming the Street and drawing people down there from Queen Street, as at the moment that entire end of the road is pretty much dead apart from the Sisha cafe. I'd also really like to see a through route being created next to the church that would allow direct access to Churchill Way from the back of M&S.

You've identified Charles Street's real problem here - the dead canyon created by Next and M&S. The Syrian owned cafe is brilliant and the refugee family who run it are lovely but other than that the north end of Charles Steet is dead space.

I know the old open air market had become a sad space in its final years but I wonder if some traditional market stall would work in this location.

DJKiran

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 11:42 am

That tower looking fucking fantastic. Too bad it won't look like that.... :(

AlwaysBeBlue

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Looks great... the new Bridge Street Tower had a lot of people whinging about it and I think it looks the best high rise in Cardiff. One person on Facebook commented on the Bridge Street building saying "this is ugly as hell". I had to comment back advising that they have yet to put cladding and windows on the building.

Yes Cardiff could do with some Dallas style building, but until Cardiff has Dallas style economy we have little chance of 50 story buildings clad in ray ban sunglass

So until then this building looks great and will add to making Cardiff look and feel a bit more international... on to the next and higher

Ps. Cardiff needs plenty of high rise apartment buildings to keep the City Centre alive. With online shopping becoming the thing over the next 100 years we need a higher City Centre population to buy and use the facilities and shops

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 12:33 pm

AlwaysBeBlue wrote:Looks great... the new Bridge Street Tower had a lot of people whinging about it and I think it looks the best high rise in Cardiff. One person on Facebook commented on the Bridge Street building saying "this is ugly as hell". I had to comment back advising that they have yet to put cladding and windows on the building.

Yes Cardiff could do with some Dallas style building, but until Cardiff has Dallas style economy we have little chance of 50 story buildings clad in ray ban sunglass

So until then this building looks great and will add to making Cardiff look and feel a bit more international... on to the next and higher

Ps. Cardiff needs plenty of high rise apartment buildings to keep the City Centre alive. With online shopping becoming the thing over the next 100 years we need a higher City Centre population to buy and use the facilities and shops

Totally agree! Now I know that these original renders have a chance of changing a little :( or in the case of HMS Cambria entirely!! :lol: But this 37 storey tower would be very interesting to say the least! Super skinny at the front - extremely 'glassy' throughout and a serious amount of greenery involved! oh and the height is pretty significant also 115m?
There are a few apartment developments being proposed at the moment in the city centre, and throughout Britain city centre living is on the rise, (pardon the pun!) and I believe Cardiff is a little behind in this area at the moment - so just maybe ;)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Cardiff

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 3:19 pm

Cardiff could definitely use some more apartment buildings, the only significant ones i can think of in the past few years are at the sports village.

However i dont like the idea of Charles street loosing any more Georgian character, even if it is faux Georgian. This is a style that Cardiff lacks and for a significant stretch, and on both sides of the street you can see this style. Especially as the land around Rapport and CIA is so dismal.

Frank

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 4:33 pm

I presume this will all be leasehold with ridiculous service charges?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum