It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

Bayscape

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Dr O

Re: Bayscape

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 4:53 pm

I had a wander past the other day, Coffi Co is open in the bottom - the location is lovely when the weather is nice but I'm not quite sure how it'll manage on days like today given you have to walk to get to it. I also think they should've taken the unit that faces the bridge to get more passing trade.

More importantly; what is in that unit is the Bayscape marketing suite, in the window of which is a render of the whole development and over phase two(the tower) sits a piece of paper with a note on it along the lines of "Phase two plans have been altered ask inside for details" I didn't have time to pop in an see what the score is, has anyone heard anything? I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's just a design change and we're not losing the highrise but I wouldn't be surprised if we are.

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 9:03 am

I would imagine it's been downsized, shame if it has but it depends how successful phase 1 was I guess. Does anyone have anymore info?

cmrya

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 9:17 am

Anyone know what's happening to the piece of land behind the Bayscape marketing suite?
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-04-11 at 09.12.22.jpg
Screenshot 2019-04-11 at 09.12.22.jpg (238.17 KiB) Viewed 10224 times

RandomComment

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 3:39 pm

cmrya wrote:Anyone know what's happening to the piece of land behind the Bayscape marketing suite?

I remember years ago Chris Oddling-Smee (one of the directors of Bayscape) gave a presentation to some of us - it included plans for this piece of land. I think it was for a much lower-rise residential development. Townhouse and 3-4 story apartments. Perhaps a significant element of social housing?

Is the Toys R Us still empty? Did I see Cardiff Council had bought it? Because with that it would be a bigger plot.

Ash

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 6:35 pm

The council did buy the out the leasehold on the Toys R Us site. They were already the freeholders.

I heard a rumour that the site might be used for a new secondary school to meet future demand in the south of the city. How much truth there is in that, I have no idea.

Fitzalan is pretty rammed at the moment but it's due to get a whole replacement set of buildings in the next stage of the "21st Century Schools" programme which might or might not be able to cope with further growth. Altenatively the council might be looking at a fourth WM Secondary. Between them Ysgol Treganna, Ysgol Pwll Coch and Ysgol Hammadryad have seven form entry - easily enough to sustain a secondary school in that part of the city.

DavidH71

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 10:19 pm

Toys r Us is still empty but often used for filming; Casualty and HolbyCity are regular visitors and we also recently had War of the Worlds. When they purchased it the council spoke of some kind of indoor leisure facility, but no more detail has been forthcoming. The empty land which surrounds it is quite a considerable size and it would be great to see it filled with rows of townhouses. There is still so much empty land around the bay, and yet hundreds of houses are being built on the fringes of Cardiff, remote from most facilities.

Cwlcymro

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 9:34 am

Ash wrote:Fitzalan is pretty rammed at the moment but it's due to get a whole replacement set of buildings in the next stage of the "21st Century Schools" programme which might or might not be able to cope with further growth. Altenatively the council might be looking at a fourth WM Secondary. Between them Ysgol Treganna, Ysgol Pwll Coch and Ysgol Hammadryad have seven form entry - easily enough to sustain a secondary school in that part of the city.

The Council have said they are expecting to build a 4th WM Secondary in the next 5-10 years as the number of puils in WM primary outstrips the space in the 3 secondaries (In the short term they are extending Ysgol Plasmawr). Considering the northernly locations of Plasmawr, Glantaf and Bro Edern and the fact that a lot of the growth in WM primaries have been in this area with Treganna expanding and Hamadryad opening then you're totally right that this would be a suitable spot for that 4th school.

cmrya

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 10:54 am

Visited the area yesterday to have a nose at those townhouses they have for sale on Watkiss Way. They're still not entirely sold, probably partly because each house only has one parking space and those spaces are in a car park and not a driveway. The front 'gardens' of the hosues are owned by the council and don't look very well maintained...

The estate agent suggested this space might be a car park for the new adventure sports facility at Toys R Us, but it seems far too big for that. I think it would be a bit of an odd location for a school but then I guess there aren't many spaces big enough in the rest of the city.

Popped into Bayscape and the plan for phase 2 now involves a 13 storey tower. They think it will likely start going up in 2021.

Kyle

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 1:41 pm

cmrya wrote:Popped into Bayscape and the plan for phase 2 now involves a 13 storey tower. They think it will likely start going up in 2021.

That's such a shame. I wonder if it's still a hotel? It sounds to me like an apartment building though. Still, I'd prefer this to nothing at all, and actually height wise it's more in keeping with everything around it I guess, particularly seeing as naff all is happening with the towers as part of the Sports Village.

Still, for those of us that followed this particular tower from the beginning it's a bad sad to hear this, although not surprising. :(

I wonder what happened to interest from the particular hotel company in Cardiff and if they'd be interested in something near the arena or city centre?

Lewisbeecham

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 2:29 pm

Perhaps they've gone looking into the John Street tower? Central Quay?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum