It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

Would you agree with this top 12

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

AlwaysBeBlue

Would you agree with this top 12

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 12:01 pm

AlwaysBeBlue

Re: Would you agree with this top 12

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 5:35 pm

I should mention that this is the top 12 skylines in the UK. Cardiff in at number 7

jones4891

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 6:18 pm

Manchester has improved a fair bit since this video was made. It looks really built up now with lots of 150m + towers built or under construction. I'd personally now put it at number 2 in the UK, but others may disagree. Cardiff has also bulked up since then, although I feel we are lacking a statement tall building within our skyline, and it's a shame we seem to be stuck at around the 85m mark. Portsmouth has a couple of nice talls but otherwise I'm surprised to see it above Cardiff. I often think Cardiff is starting to resemble similarly sized compact cities around the world like Halifax Nova Scotia or Wellington, NZ. Both have similar populations to us and similarly dense city centres without having any really tall buildings, but still have relatively pleasing skylines.

Ash

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 pm

It depends how you define skyline, I suppose.

IMHO, the city with the most dramatic skyline in the UK is, without doubt, Edinburgh, which doesn't even feature in the video. The list seems to adopt a very narrow definition of skyline that excludes natural features and historic buildings in favour of modern towers.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 1:13 pm

The photo at top of page is from last month. When the interchange and the resi tower at cap quarter is constructed this will also impact the skyline. That 'to good to be true'! 132metre tower would've made all the difference :cry: Still plenty going on and planned, so the skyline is evolving in a positive direction - if towers are your cup of tea! (I know they aren't everyones but probably they are to the majority looking in on this forum). Now if you add the central quay development to this mix and we start getting some towers of 100metre + height - the skys the limit!! :)

London will always be number 1 and probably manchester/birmingham/liverpool/leeds 2,3,4 and 5 - so perhaps 6th is as high up this list we could get? but given the size of our population by comparison - that's pretty good.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

penarth bloke

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 9:19 pm

Ask a 100 people and you'll get a 100 different lists. Human nature.

YouaremyCardiff95

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 8:07 pm

Realistically how many buildings over the 100 meter mark do we think Cardiff will get in the next 10 years.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 1:21 am

Who knows in this city! lets just hope the number is at least above zero!

So just for the optimistic fun of it, I'll go for 5...

1. Watkin jones tower to re-appear as PRS scheme
2. Phase 2 of john st (actually this could be inches below 100m)
3. Harlech court?
4-5. and 2 more we don't even know about perhaps at least one where motorpoint is
maybe the other close by where Rapports is?

It would also be nice to think we'd get something really special 150m+ to add to the mix, with a top floor bar/restaurant so that we could all enjoy the building. I guess that building would have to be mixed use so not sure where that's coming from, but I live in hope!!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

YouaremyCardiff95

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 2:03 pm

Yes I agree 5-6 at most
1. Office / hotel on st john street .100m
2. Custom house street development. Build to rent most likely and would like to see that at 115 m.
3.harlech court. Mixed use maybe and thinking 130-135m.
4. Then widening the bulk and height of the line of tall buildings we have I would say they knock down a disgusting looking ty pont haearn and build a eye catching 150-160m tower.
5. Building in quayside nearest to the railway line maybe a 5* hotel and mixed use and looking around 105-110 m
6. Rapports building or car park most likely offices maybe even a idea of a taller more impressive new admiral headquarters rising above 100m then freeing up the old admiral building for new potential overseas companies.

YouaremyCardiff95

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 2:10 pm

Also leading on from developing the site of ty pont haearn with a 150 m building it could lead to a ffew more 150m plus building on the car parks opposite the atrium on adams street. This would really be impressive and show what cardiff is capable of producing.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum